Author Topic: John Livingston?, Muthill, Perthshire  (Read 448 times)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
Re: John Livingston?, Muthill, Perthshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 September 23 05:01 BST (UK) »
Oh that's very interesting Neale1961,

Considering I've now traced his father John Livingstone over to the US, it is very interesting that his son may have gone that way too, but to Canada.

His mother's name was not listed on his death cert, perhaps because Janet left him to be raised by his grandparents while she married and had more children with Duncan Gow. John may have known his father's name simply because he was named after his father, but may not have had anything to do with him.

Forfarian,

I also wonder where he was in 1871 if not in Scotland, could he have been in the US looking for his father? Can't find anything to support this, however.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Livingston?, Muthill, Perthshire
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 September 23 07:11 BST (UK) »
He may have gone to the USA before heading to Canada. If he knew of his father in USA, then that seems very possible.
Immigration to Canada was about 1873, but to USA could have been before 1871.
I saw a few shipping records to USA that were possible, but the details too scant, and the name too common to know for sure.

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)