Author Topic: Donald George Walter Hume  (Read 300 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald George Walter Hume
« on: Wednesday 20 September 23 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hello! I've never looked for someone in South African records before and have had very limited success. I'd greatly appreciate your help.
Donald George Walter Hume was born to English parents in Kutch, India, in 1878. The next information I've found about him is marrying Jane Bosbridge Doyle in somewhere I can't read (see pic) in 1907. They had two children, Donald George Arthur Hume and John Douglas Hume. Donald GW Hume was killed on active service according to his South African 'death notice' but I've not been able to find any record of his war service through the UK National Archives or Commonwealth War Graves websites.
I'd particularly like to know about his war service, but also any ideas about what took him to South Africa (where according to the death notice he was an inspector of boilers) would be much appreciated. Can anyone help???
SORRY posted wrong pic! Correct one of marriage certificate has been added ...
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Donald George Walter Hume
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 08:15 BST (UK) »
Correct pic of marriage certificate ...
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 08:31 BST (UK) »
It says he died on active service with British expeditionary Forces in France in 1917.
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/617656/d-g-w-hume/
(Scroll down to click on various links)

There are a number of Boer war records for D G W Hume (1899-1907) which will probably be him. You'll find these records on Ancestry and FindMyPast.
It was probably serving in the Boer war that took him to Sth Africa.
Looks as if he was first with Royal Engineers, Volunteers, Electrical Engineers and was moved to the 38th Battery R.F.A. and the 74th Battery R.F.A.
Recorded on Medal roll 3 Aug 1903 as 2nd Lieut Hume DGW 74th Battery R.F.A.
He retired from the 38th Battery R.F.A. 21 Sept 1907
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 08:44 BST (UK) »
The marriage was in All Saints Church, Clifton, Witwatersrand, Pretoria

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 10:42 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you have this or not. This is his wife's birth in 1876, Bessbrook, Newry, Co. Armagh. Parents, John James Doyle, Under Agent & Margaret Owen Smith.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1876/03073/2126642.pdf

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much, that's tremendous (although I am miffed that I failed to find him on CWGC)! I did not have those details about his wife, either.
Yes, clearly he went to South Africa because of the Boer War which makes sense.
Absolutely delighted to have moved forward (or rather to have BEEN moved forward!)