Author Topic: Photo of happy folk about to have a charabanc journey (1920s?) Elgin?  (Read 999 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of happy folk about to have a charabanc journey (1920s?) Elgin?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 22:31 BST (UK) »
There appears to be a notice in one of the Windows over the head of the guy on the right. Maybe if you could get a high resolution scan of just the notice it may reveal where they are.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 22:36 BST (UK) »
Looking at the back of the bus, there is a railing and a lot of open space. I wonder if it could be on the west bank of the river in Inverness?

The Town House there has lots of small spires https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/7480842
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 September 23 17:00 BST (UK) »
There appears to be a notice in one of the Windows over the head of the guy on the right. Maybe if you could get a high resolution scan of just the notice it may reveal where they are.

I think there's also a destination board at the front, though it's mostly hidden.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 September 23 11:39 BST (UK) »
First, thank you very much to everyone for being so helpful.

I’ve looked at the possible destination details and poster on the side of the bus on original photo using a magnifying glass but no joy, I’m afraid. The photo is only 80mm x 55mm though.

Grateful for help on how I could get a high resolution image as Carol suggested.

A thought - since a location in the vicinity of Elgin is providing elusive, I’m wondering if the photo maybe shows some of the Gentleman family on my maternal Grannie’s side. They originally came from Hawick and went to Elgin before WW1 for family members to work as weavers in the Tweed and woollen mills before returning to Hawick.

Maybe a Border’s connection?
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 September 23 17:51 BST (UK) »
Have you dismissed my suggestion that it was in Inverness?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 September 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry Forfarian, it was remiss of me to jump the gun. Funnily enough I’d Googled ‘4 Spires Scotland’ and the first link that came up is a view in Inverness -

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1454651

Following your message I went onto Streetview to see if there could be a possible location to match but couldn’t easily see one. So yes I think Inverness may not be right but as I live quite close will carry out a recce to be certain.

I’ll report after the visit, apologies again for not properly addressing your suggestion at the time.
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 September 23 18:18 BST (UK) »
Quick update - planning to be in Inversnecky at the weekend, also getting some expert help on whether the images can be sharpened to read the writing. VMT
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile