Author Topic: Trying to find Hugh and Robert Patton 1911 Census Killagan  (Read 419 times)

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find Hugh and Robert Patton 1911 Census Killagan
« on: Wednesday 20 September 23 15:02 BST (UK) »
I’m trying to track down Hugh and his brother Robert Patton, Great Uncles on my Dad’s side. They were the sons of my Grandad Samuel Patton who was brought up in Frosses but moved to Scotland and his first wife Helen (Nelly) Steel who died in 1910.

I found the two boys in the 1911 Census with their Grandparents Robert and Jenny Patton and others in House 36 Mount Hamilton, Killagan, Antrim. The record confirms they were born in Scotland so it looks like Samuel had no-one to look after them so they went back to stay with his parents. -Robert was 2 and Hugh was 1 year old.

I can find no trace of them after the 1911 Census and wonder if anyone had any information or could point me in the right direction.

Thank you!
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Hugh and Robert Patton 1911 Census Killagan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 16:30 BST (UK) »
Did Samuel remarry in Scotland?  Could the boys have returned to Scotland?

The Scottish 1921 census is available on a pay per view basis at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There is a marriage in 1913 of Samuel Patton & Jane McPhee
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW

(First I struggled to get a reply posted and hope I’m not duplicating).

Yes I have the information about his marriage to Jane McPhee and also tracked them down through the 1921 Census to England.

Attached extract from the 1921 Census of England which shows Samuel with his second wife Jane and their family at the time including my Dad, James in Redcar, England but no sign of his first two boys. This lead me to assume they were still in Ireland but with no proof as sadly there was no Census there in 1921.

Just for background Samuel had moved from Scotland where he had been a coal miner to Redcar to work as a smelter in the Dormanlong steelworks.

Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hopefully clearer photo
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 20:00 BST (UK) »
Long shot

There is a death in 1981 in Fulham for a Hugh John Patton b 10.6.1910.

There is no birth on freebmd or SP for a Hugh John - yours was just Hugh.  Do you have his exact birthdate from SP?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 20:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, he was born 25th January 1910, extract attached. I see Hugh does not have a middle name registered so unlikely to be the long shot you kindly tracked down?
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 20:23 BST (UK) »
Newspaper snippet-
Belfast Newsletter, 10 June 1929: CAR KNOCKED THROUGH WALL. ... accident on Saturday night ... Killagan cross-roads or Ballymena-Ballymoney road... cyclist named Robert Patton, of Mounthamilton, was admitted to the Waveney Hospital, Ballymena, in an unconscious condition. It appears that Patton was cycling down the hill from ...

Similar report in Ballymena Observer of 14 June 1929 gives Robert Patton's age as 73 and indicates he had died as a result of a collision with a motor car. (Was on his way to catch a bus to go to a funeral)

Ballymoney Free Press, 25 Jan.1934: Motor Prosecution. The Antrim County Council summoned Hugh Patton, Mounthamilton, Cloughmills, for on the 25th August, 1933, using a motor on which licence duty had not been paid ...

Belfast Newsletter, 15 July 1954: PATTON- July 14, 1954, at her grandson's residence, Drumadarragh, Knockahollet, Jenny, wife of the late Robert Patton, of Mounthamilton. Funeral to Killymurris Churchyard to-morrow (Friday), at ...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Aghadowey for the newspaper snippets which are of huge interest, particularly as I think you have filled key gaps in the family tree as well as a spotlight being shone on what would seem to be a record about one of my missing Great Uncles!

I had no information on how my Dad’s Grandparents (Robert and Jenny Patton) died and I’ll follow up the fantastic leads you’ve provided.

Robert’s age in 1929 of 73 at the time of the accident is spot on as he is shown as 55 in the 1911 census. Jenny would have been 97 at the time of her death. By strange coincidence I posted the only photo I have of them both from the late 19c yesterday on RootsChat photo restoration which is awaiting moderator approval.

As for Hugh Patton..I’ll research further based on what you’ve found!

Very much appreciated.

Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 September 23 00:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Aghadowey’s help, I have traced both Great Grandfather Robert Patton’s death record, sadly he did die aged 73 in 1929 after a road traffic accident, and also the record of his widow my Great Gran Jenny who died aged 94 in 1954.

You’ll see from the record that the informant of her death was her Grandson Hugh, the Great Uncle who I’d been looking for. A fantastic result!

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/search/death/Full/80f25e78-cc95-e311-b1aa-001b7899ebdc?search=7fbff8ea-6b62-4cb3-b35e-ed2f12794ca0

Until the day break.
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire