Author Topic: Census record search for Brooks alberta  (Read 1118 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Census record search for Brooks alberta
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 September 23 14:46 BST (UK) »

This could be one of those where information passed along is not quite correct.  None of us have turned up any record for the family so far  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 September 23 16:28 BST (UK) »
If the OP is a descendant, have you tested DNA? If mother was native, it will show up in the results. If not, we can rule out one part of the story.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 September 23 18:35 BST (UK) »
Find reference to a 32 year old "Canadian" Denver Hulbert Talbot of Main Road, Banwen, Neath being charged in an accident in the Merthyr Express on 22 November 1952.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 September 23 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is/was a Brooks weekly newspaper called The Bulletin. You can try an email to them to
see if Albert or Denver appear in any editions.
https://brooksbulletin.com/archives/

DB

Offline jrainbrim

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 September 23 23:52 BST (UK) »
Find reference to a 32 year old "Canadian" Denver Hulbert Talbot of Main Road, Banwen, Neath being charged in an accident in the Merthyr Express on 22 November 1952.

That's him

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 September 23 00:00 BST (UK) »
I think you have to consider that  he's using an assumed name ... no sign of him prior to his 1951 marriage.  Assume that's where you got his father's name? While there are Talbots in Bow River electoral district in both the 1921 and 1931 census, nothing that matches what you have. The Blackfoot reserve is enumerated using their native names with only a few English names listed. Has your friend done his DNA?

Offline jrainbrim

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 September 23 13:31 BST (UK) »
I don't like to ask. He's of a faith that I have to be a bit careful what I ask.
I think the same as you though in that Denver changed his name.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 September 23 14:41 BST (UK) »
I think you have to consider that  he's using an assumed name ... no sign of him prior to his 1951 marriage…

Quote from: jrainbrim link=topic= :-\876697.msg7487058#msg7487058 date=1695558709
I don't like to ask…I think the same as you though in that Denver changed his name.

I believe all family “facts” and family stories have a ring of truth to them (if they aren’t actually true).  However, for the family not to be found, so far, in any documents makes me believe that possibly details were either unintentionally or purposely muddled.

To state that the family lived in Brooks seems quite possible; being so specific about his birthplace, when he lived so far away, has a ring of truth.  However, was his father truly born in England and was he really a trapper (I think that was mentioned early on).  Quebec (Canada) has been brought up as possibilities I believe; I’ve also run across Talbots from Quebec but have discounted them because of his supposed birthplace.

…Denver told his son, my friend, where was born etc. Brooks Alberta, to an English but possible Scottish man and a Blackfoot indian woman.

If Denver’s details cannot be found, would you feel comfortable asking your friend if his father had an “unusual” accent or used unusual words?  Even if he lived in Wales for a long time, he might have still retained his accent, or regional phrases/words, from his early years.  Could any words indicate an English or Scottish upbringing?  I’ve lived in California a long time but periodically people will question my speech (using a word like serviette tends to confuse people).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 September 23 20:44 BST (UK) »
Also, given that the Blackfoot nation reserve is very close to Brooks lends credence to the original story.  However, not finding them in the 1921, 1926 or 1931 census is troubling.