Author Topic: Census record search for Brooks alberta  (Read 1117 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Census record search for Brooks alberta
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 September 23 23:16 BST (UK) »
They lived in Brooks - Alberta - Canada - not the US.    Can't see an incoming passenger record for Denver so don't know when he arrived in the UK - but obviously before 1951…

Right, but since I hadn’t yet found him in Brooks, Alberta or Canada, I widened my search. I thought I would “wander down” to Colorado in case Denver was born there, and after the birth, the family settled in Brooks.  ;D

Since we don’t have sources of how the details were obtained, I thought that I would check out the possibility of some of the facts not being spot on. I was told by family members that a paternal ancestor was Guillaume who was born in France, lived for a very short time in England and then immediately settled in Canada.  I’ve yet to find Guillaume or a French birth, but I did find James (and his descendants who were also named James). My ancestors lived in England at least 115 years before sailing to Canada.  Unless I have sources, my “Canadian” searches tend to roam around North America in hope of eventually finding individuals.

Thank you for clarifying, though, Carole. It’s helpful when we point things out to each other; I think it makes researching more enjoyable when we try to help each other.  (And, apologies for the confusion; I do have a tendency to do that to others.  :-X  ;) )
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jrainbrim

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 September 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
I’m guessing that you haven’t found the family in a 1920 or 1921 census?  Was Denver a family name?  It’s a bit unusual.  If it wasn’t a family name could it have been a place name, such as Denver, Colorado?

I don't have access to Canadian records.

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 September 23 17:00 BST (UK) »
I’m guessing that you haven’t found the family in a 1920 or 1921 census?  Was Denver a family name?  It’s a bit unusual.  If it wasn’t a family name could it have been a place name, such as Denver, Colorado?

I don't have access to Canadian records.

You can view Canadian census returns, births, deaths, etc. here (no fee website)
https://www.familysearch.org/search/
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline jrainbrim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 September 23 19:36 BST (UK) »
I was told that Denver's father died when he was 25, Denver was 5. So 1925.
Denver's uncle, mother's brother, took them in. Apparently this man was cruel and when Denver was older, late teens to early twentys, he stood up to his uncle, a knife was produced and this is when Denver left home for good.
Denver told his son, my friend, where was born etc. Brooks Alberta, to an English but possible Scottish man and a Blackfoot indian woman.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 September 23 00:10 BST (UK) »
One can also view Canadian censuses for free on the Library and Archives Canada website. All censuses are available except 1931 which is still apparently only accessible through Ancestry for the time being.

Link here….

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/pages/census.aspx

I have looked for the family in the 1921, 1926, and 1931 censuses without success so if they are in Alberta they seem to be very well hidden.

jrainbrim, do you have a full maiden name for the mother?

PB

Modified to add a correction about access to the 1931 census…one can browse it for free through the LAC website…

https://recherche-collection-search.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Census/Index1931

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jrainbrim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 September 23 08:47 BST (UK) »
No  My friend was never told

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 September 23 13:39 BST (UK) »
Not searchable but browseable, the Alberta Death Index (PDF files) show an Albert Chas. Talbot died in Calgary in 1929.

https://provincialarchives.alberta.ca/how-to/find-birth-marriage-and-death-records/death-indexes

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 September 23 14:30 BST (UK) »
Not searchable but browseable, the Alberta Death Index (PDF files) show an Albert Chas. Talbot died in Calgary in 1929.

https://provincialarchives.alberta.ca/how-to/find-birth-marriage-and-death-records/death-indexes

Obit for the guy above ??  Might not be the one you are seeking ?

Calgary Herald
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thu, 13 Jun 1929 Page 2

https://www.newspapers.com/article/calgary-herald/132275216/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 September 23 14:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, I just found his Find-a-Grave as well, so not the right guy. Not seeing another Albert Talbot that fits so perhaps Albert not the right first name?