Author Topic: Probate  (Read 799 times)

Offline Gollach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Probate
« on: Thursday 21 September 23 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, can anyone advise what exactly is Probate and what it involves.  I have found a Probate Record for a relation of mine but I know she died with no family.  Does this mean that her estate would go to the Government.  There are no names/recipients mentioned in the record.
Thanks in advance.
Gollach

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Probate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 September 23 20:27 BST (UK) »
You don’t say when she died.  Does the entry show probate or administration?

Some entries prior to 1995 will sometimes show the name of the person to whom probate/admin was granted.  From 1996 they don’t.   None of the details online show disposal of assets

If she left a will - You need to download a copy as the probate entry does not give those details online.  You can leave your estate to whoever you want to - friends or charities etc - whether or not you have family

Administration is different so it depends what you have found & when

https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 September 23 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, can anyone advise what exactly is Probate and what it involves.  I have found a Probate Record for a relation of mine but I know she died with no family.  Does this mean that her estate would go to the Government.  There are no names/recipients mentioned in the record.
Thanks in advance.
Gollach

If there is no known will or family the Government publishes the deceased information on the Bona Vacantia list, heirs can then be traced and claims made.

Heir Hunters is a UK TV series about the activities if some of the companies gaining commission be finding heirs to those listed.

If an estate remains unclaimed it goes to the State after the assets have been monetised.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 September 23 11:26 BST (UK) »
To answer your initial question, probate is the process where approval by a competent court is given that a will or testament of a deceased person is the deceased's lawful act.  This allows the executors named in the will to carry out the terms of the will.

As others have said, if no will was made then administration of the estate can be applied for by others e.g. to sell a house, pay debts etc.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 September 23 11:55 BST (UK) »
From my earlier reply - if you give more info re her name & when she died it will help with your query.

If she left a will - You need to download a copy as the probate entry does not give those details online.  You can leave your estate to whoever you want to - friends or charities etc - whether or not you have family

Downloads cost £1.50
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gollach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 September 23 21:25 BST (UK) »

Some entries prior to 1995 will sometimes show the name of the person to whom probate/admin was granted.  From 1996 they don’t.   None of the details online show disposal of assets

Hi, thanks for reply.  I've had a further look and it's a National Probate Calendar record which just gives her name, address, date of death, name of town and calendar date of probate with an 11 digit number+letters...  sorry that's all I can see.
Regards  Gollach

Administration is different so it depends what you have found & when

https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate

Offline Gollach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 September 23 21:28 BST (UK) »
To answer your initial question, probate is the process where approval by a competent court is given that a will or testament of a deceased person is the deceased's lawful act.  This allows the executors named in the will to carry out the terms of the will.

As others have said, if no will was made then administration of the estate can be applied for by others e.g. to sell a house, pay debts etc.

Nell
Many thanks for your reply.  It appears to be a Probate Calendar record with just a few details, name, address, date of death, town of probate (and probate date 1993) and not exceeding an amount, plus an 11 digit number/letter...

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 September 23 21:29 BST (UK) »
What was her name?

Offline Gollach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 September 23 21:33 BST (UK) »
From my earlier reply - if you give more info re her name & when she died it will help with your query.

Hi, she died in 1993 (widow).  It doesn't show administration.   It's a Probate Calendar Record entry, just shows name, address, date of death, probate town, date of probate (3/3/93) not exceeding an amount and a 11 digit number/letter....Many thanks for your reply.
Regards
Gollach

Downloads cost £1.50