Author Topic: French equivalent of Bishops' Transcripts?  (Read 285 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
French equivalent of Bishops' Transcripts?
« on: Thursday 21 September 23 23:45 BST (UK) »
André Danhier married Anne Jeanne Carlier in 1730 in Ciply Mons, Belgium.
He had been previously married to Catherine Theresa Druart in 1726 at Ghlin, Mons,
where both bride and groom are said to be 25 years old.

He is godfather to André Joseph, the son of Arnould Danhier in 1735 at Hyon, Mons.
(He is given as “ a married man living in Ghlin”, and his signature exactly matches
that on his marriage record in 1726.)

There are several other records of Danhier marriages and baptisms, from which I have gleaned that an Anthoine Danhier with wife Jeanne Durant, had these following children, the last three, (with dates), are in the Ghlin registers.
André; Jacques Joseph; Arnould; Marie Catherine; Therese, (1711); Catherine Joseph, (1714)  and Jean Baptiste, (1717).

Anthoine Danhier married Jeanne Durant 2nd May 1701 at Taisniers sur Hon, France Nord, about 10 miles south of Ghlin, over the what is now French/Belgium border.
It seems plausible to me that their earlier children may well have been born whilst they were still in Taisniers sur Hon, before they moved to Ghlin.
(I have the baptism of Anthoine Danhier in 1671 at Taisniers sun Hon).
However, there is a gap in the Taisniers sur Hon registers between 1700 and 1710.
Of course just the years when these children would have been born.

I understand there was a system in France similar to  the English system of Bishop’s Transcripts, where copies of the registers were made and, in the English system, sent to the pertinent bishop’s office.
I know from searching the Montreuil Sur Mer records that sometimes there are more than one film for a particular church, which, although not indexed as such, have turned out to be copies.
I can’t find on the France Nord archives en ligne site any films which may be the copies.
Does anybody know how to access these records?
Of course it  may be that the records for those 10 years I am particularly interested in just don’t exist in any form. Perhaps there was no priest there at that time, or some other reason why there are no remaining records for those years.

Thanks for any insights.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: French equivalent of Bishops' Transcripts?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 September 23 14:25 BST (UK) »

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 23 03:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking joger.

I've seen the tree on geneanet.
He doesn't seem to have done as much research as I have.
In fact, if I remember correctly, he doesn't even have the 1710 Taisniers sur hon marriage.
(Ghlin now being under Belgium records, and Tainiers sur Hon under French records)
There is a gap of 11 years from their marriage in 1710 in Taisniers sur Hon, and the baptism of Therese in 1711 at Ghlin.
These are the missing years in the Taisniers sur Hon registers.
I have seen the lists of baptisms, and marriages for T sur Hon, on the France Nord archives en ligne.
Presumably they were made from the registers, so would just be repeating whatever gaps there were already.

Do you know anything about 'Bishops' Transcripts'?
I'm guessing the France Nord Archives en ligne site would have all the information they could find?

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 23 08:22 BST (UK) »
You say :"There is a gap of 11 years from their marriage in 1710 in Taisniers sur Hon, and the baptism of Therese in 1711 at Ghlin."
This not correct :
They married in 1710 and their first child Therese was born 1 year later in 1711.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 23 09:05 BST (UK) »
https://archivesdepartementales.lenord.fr/ark:/33518/m9624t5zhljd/e6737d6c-0fed-4a14-a118-93dc3a6febe6
page 2
AC means Archives communales ( archives de la mairie ) 72 pages
AD means Archives départementales (from page 73 to 861)

from 1667 to 1792  there were  2 compulsory registers . One was kept by the priest in the village or town and  the second one was sent to the "greffe du tribunal". That's why you can meet 2 kinds of images in the Archives Départementales: "communale" or " du greffe".

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 23 10:53 BST (UK) »
You say :"There is a gap of 11 years from their marriage in 1710 in Taisniers sur Hon, and the baptism of Therese in 1711 at Ghlin."
This not correct :
They married in 1710 and their first child Therese was born 1 year later in 1711.

Oops. My keyboard slip.
The marriage of Anthoine Danhier at Taisniers sur Hon to Jeanne Durant was 1701.
In fact the transcription on MyHeritage gives it as 1700, but I don't think that can be correct, as on the page before the marriage, there is definitely the date 1701.
The pages are very faint, the entries very brief, and there is a decided lack of dates for the years.
It is in a very small register which starts a few pages before this marriage at 1700.
The rest of the pages start at 1738.
You can see from this page on the film there is nothing between 1700 and 1737 (there are a few entries from 1701 of which the marriage is one).
The listing in the tables for the marriage of 1710 must again be a numerical switch round.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 September 23 11:16 BST (UK) »
https://archivesdepartementales.lenord.fr/ark:/33518/m9624t5zhljd/e6737d6c-0fed-4a14-a118-93dc3a6febe6
page 2
AC means Archives communales ( archives de la mairie ) 72 pages
AD means Archives départementales (from page 73 to 861)

from 1667 to 1792  there were  2 compulsory registers . One was kept by the priest in the village or town and  the second one was sent to the "greffe du tribunal". That's why you can meet 2 kinds of images in the Archives Départementales: "communale" or " du greffe".

That's very interesting joger.
Many thanks for this.
I shall have to have a much closer look at the films.