Author Topic: Hieronym Czyzun  (Read 491 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hieronym Czyzun
« on: Friday 22 September 23 11:15 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help with information on Hieronym Czyzun who served as a pilot with 304 Squadron during WW2.  He was born on 18th November 1919 at Wilno, Poland (now Vilnius, Lithuania) and died at St Ouen, Jersey on 9th February 2003.

I am trying to add him and his story to a tribute site for the men of 304 Squadron but information on him is very sparse.  Many thanks

Neville Bougourd

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hieronym Czyzun
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 September 23 11:50 BST (UK) »
Was his death reported by a family member - wife/child?  If he married in Jersey - his marriage cert should show his fathers name.

If he had children - they may still be living in Jersey so have you tried local directories - Facebook etc?   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 September 23 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Carole,

This was my first port of call but I am now busy checking up on all the usual sites.  I originally had only his name, rank, number and date of birth but recently received information that he died in Jersey.  So I thought I would try this site first.  Up to now I have discovered very little other than a photograph of him.

I was hoping that he might be known to Jersey local historians because of his WW2 connection and the fact that he had received Poland's equivalent of the Victoria Cross (the Virtuti Militari).  I am amazed that he went to live in Jersey because it is so difficult to get residence there.  My own father was from Guernsey but could not go home because he remained in the forces for 2 years after the War and then I came along and by the time I was of school age, it was too late for him to go back as a local and he would have to buy a house on the open market rather than the local market - which was way beyond his financial means.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 September 23 12:51 BST (UK) »
I presume you know he married in Gloucestershire 1947?
Wife must have been a Widow.

1 Son born 1947 in Yorkshire (cant post details as may still be living)

Incoming Passenger List from Canada    31 Jul. 1953 has his occp as Progress Eng.
( have no idea what that could be!)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 September 23 13:04 BST (UK) »
I dont have a World Sub to Ancestry but it appears his Wife died in the US and on Anc it has a Newspaper Obituary mentioning  Hieronim Wladyslaw Czyzun.

Someone else may be able to access that if you don't already have it.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 September 23 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
Passenger list 31 July 1853
 Hieronym Czyzun age 33 from Bristol on Empress France to Quebec Canada
Address 54 Downend Road Downend Bristol
occupation given as Progress England
Tourist to Montreal

His Wife Josephine Wilshire seems to have died 18 or 16th  Jan 2007 age 92
It looks like s he and he were divorced and she died Kennewick WA.
She had already divorces her fist husband Walter Gilbert Essex 1916-1994.
There was one son who went to Washington with his mother.
It looks like he is still alive.

On the 2002 electoral register Hieronym is living with another member of the family perhaps a second wife in Jersey.
There seems to be an Obituary in the Tri-City Herald  but I don't have a sub.

A couple of trees on Ancestry for his wife .

Ciderdrinker

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 September 23 13:55 BST (UK) »
To trish1120

I don't think he was ever in the USA or Canada (except possibly on holiday - he may have been visiting the son from his first marriage) but the 1947 marriage in Gloucester sounds possible.  I know he was married twice and his second wife is or was still alive a year or so ago.  His military records do not show the middle name Wladyslaw but it could still be the same man.  A process engineer/progress chaser would be a likely occupation for a man with a technical background.

To Ciderdrinker

The second wife was still alive in Jersey around 2020/2021 so that is probably the lady you mentioned.  I was hoping he still had living family in Jersey. 

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 September 23 14:28 BST (UK) »
Czyżun Hieronim in the Polish Airforce Personnel Website:

https://listakrzystka.pl/en/czyzun-hieronim/

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 September 23 14:35 BST (UK) »
According to the obituary of his ex-wife Josephine (Wilshire) they married in 1947 and were divorced in 1984.

The obit gives his name as Hieronim Wladyslaw Czyzun.