Author Topic: Great Uncle Sgt. Jimmy Gentleman Seaforth Highlanders  (Read 767 times)

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great Uncle Sgt. Jimmy Gentleman Seaforth Highlanders
« on: Friday 22 September 23 19:37 BST (UK) »
Attached record from the Morayshire Roll of Honour of my late Mum’s Uncle James (Jimmy) Gentleman, and would be grateful for any information about his service including whether there is any record of the citations for his MM and bar.

Another current thread has a similar topic which spurred me to action as well as the fantastic help I had recently in trying to track down any surviving information on my Grandfather’s service in WW1 (Jimmy’s Brother in Law).

I now understand much information has sadly been lost but look forward to seeing what may have survived about Jimmy.

Many thanks!
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Great Uncle Sgt. Jimmy Gentleman Seaforth Highlanders
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 September 23 21:21 BST (UK) »
You can find his two medal index cards at the National Archives (here and here).

The citations for his MM and bar were published in the Gazette on 10 April 1918 and 11 December 1918 respectively (the writing for the date of the second Gazette entry is slightly unclear and could be 11.10.18 or 11.11.18, although I'm pretty sure it's December ie 11.12.18

His record of service for his first engagement in the Territorial Force is on FindMyPast. His original number on joining was 922. Strangely, he was discharged at the end of his original TF engagement on 4 Feb 1916 having not served overseas during his first 5 years and 20 days service. Presumably he re-enlisted very soon afterwards. This time his number was 4372. As you will recall from the other thread, all TF soldiers were given new 6 figure numbers in early 1917. However no record of his subsequent service appears to have survived.

Because he did not go to France until some time after Feb 1916 he was only awarded the Victory and War Medals, in addition to his MM and bar.

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 September 23 21:22 BST (UK) »
He Enlisted as 4372 and attained the Rank of Acting Company Quarter Master Sgt
He presumably went Overseas 1916/17  and awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal

CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 September 23 21:32 BST (UK) »
The 922 Service record is also on Ancestry
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 September 23 21:45 BST (UK) »
There are several newspaper references to James Gentleman of Hawick. One definitely being him as it mentions his being awarded the MM (Daily Record and Mail Sat Mar 16, 1918). However several others, the death of a wife Jane Jardine in Sept 1932 (Hawick Express September 1932) and the death in Oct 1932  of an unmarried James Gentleman probably refer to a different person, as the latter death report said he was aged 53 and had first joined the Post Office in 1897, when your great uncle would have been aged 5 (Hawick Express October 28 1932).

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 September 23 21:51 BST (UK) »
I found the Attestation of that Sapper James Gentleman in the Royal Engineers of Hawick in WW1 and was a Post Office Overseer pre War and wonder
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 September 23 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Andy for your help as before with my Grandfather, and also Alamo2008 and mmm45, much appreciated.

I’m working through the brilliant information but sorry have some beginner’s queries, and suspect I’ll have to drag myself further into the 21st Century!

First I don’t use Ancestry or Findmypast and need to look at the subscription options.

Also I’d never explored the Gazette but have now set up an account. Epic fail on first try to follow up the lead and any tips on how to have a swear free search very welcome!

Also it would be terrific to see the newspaper articles mentioned about the award on the MM (is it just the one?) which presumably tell the story of why they were given. Again is this another online system?

Thanks for bearing with me!
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 23 11:04 BST (UK) »
The London Gazette isn't the easiest to search. Please note that the records for MM citations do not appear to have survived, there are the odd exceptions like citations for the Tank Corps.

Announcement (not citation) of his MM in the London Gazette link (left column just after half way down) -

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30622/supplement/4388

Announcement (not citation) of his Bar to his MM in the London Gazette (right column about a third down) -

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31061/supplement/14651

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 September 23 11:19 BST (UK) »
He's on the FoI list of servicemen born before 1900 whose papers are still held by MoD
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk