Author Topic: Lamberton Toll lookup?  (Read 195 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lamberton Toll lookup?
« on: Saturday 23 September 23 16:06 BST (UK) »
I could never find any marriage record for my great(x3)-grandparents, Andrew Barclay and Ann Curry. I logged in the Ancestry website today for the first time in at least a couple of years and found someone's tree with Andrew and Ann on stating that they married at Lamberton Toll in 1845. However as literally no sources are shown for anything in this random tree, I'd like to have the info confirmed before I use it in my own tree. Does anyone have access to Lamberton Toll marriages from this time and could do a lookup for me? Or failing that know where I can access the relevent register?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lamberton Toll lookup?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 September 23 16:25 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Local Studies in Newcastle City library has two small volumes of the border marriages including Lamberton Toll.  These just give names of bride and groom, date and venue place.
I could try to check this out for you the next time I will be on a day shift if I can reach there on way home on one of their late opening evenings but this might not be for a few weeks.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 September 23 17:20 BST (UK) »
The booklet can be borrowed from the Internet Archive (you need to sign up for an account but from memory its free)
https://archive.org/details/marriagesatlambe0000unse

I have a copy and entry 1387 says
EDIT:  in the Section for 1845
Lamberton Toll May 29  Andrew Barkley of Berwick to Ann Currey of Alnwick. Wit, James McFarlin, Thomas Barkey

and the really good news is that if you have a look at this thread on Rootchat

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=849322.msg7166734#msg7166734

you can see that (eventually) I was able to find out which microfilm at Northumberland Archives has the images from the original registers -  M.650  :-)
If the transcript looks right to you and you want a copy you can either visit if you are near the area or order a copy from the archives. I finally got a copy of the one I wanted, doesn't tell me anything new but its nice to have the image (think the cost is currently about £5.50 for a copy via email.)

Boo

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 September 23 18:03 BST (UK) »
That's great, Tickettyboo, many thanks. Where both of them are from matches up with what I already know, so this has to be them, even though the surname spelling is wrong. Woodhorn is a little difficult to get to by public transport, so I'll see if I can order an image.

Thanks to River Tyne Lass too for the offer.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk