Author Topic: William Patterson  (Read 375 times)

Offline MiraMax131

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Patterson
« on: Sunday 24 September 23 11:05 BST (UK) »
William Patterson lived in Ryhope and had a son James William Patterson.  William killed or died in the First World War.  Can anyone tell me if and where the service records might be kept or viewed on line?
Anne

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Patterson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 September 23 11:28 BST (UK) »
There were 15 William Pattersons killed in WW1. You need to provide more information like parents, wife, age, etc.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 September 23 12:23 BST (UK) »
Ancestry and Find My Past both have various records for WW1 if you don't have a subscription then
your local library may have access on site via their computers

As Kloumann says we'd look to be able to point you in the right direction but would need more detail such as his wife's name and years of birth for William and his son

Do you know which service he served with? e.g. Army/Royal Navy/Merchant Navy/Royal Flying Corps
Boo

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 September 23 15:40 BST (UK) »
Your William Patterson will probably be mentioned on the war memorial in Ryhope. The names are grouped in regiments.
I have photos of my two relatives mentioned there but did not take photos of all the names.
Yorkshire Regiment has a Private J PATTERSON.
Yorks & Lancs just has four names and no PATTERSON.
Durham Light Infantry have lots of names but my photo only goes down to L/CPL E. BRITTON.

I would be surprised if the names on this and other war memorials are not online.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 September 23 15:44 BST (UK) »
Your William Patterson will probably be mentioned on the war memorial in Ryhope. The names are grouped in regiments.
I have photos of my two relatives mentioned there but did not take photos of all the names.
Yorkshire Regiment has a Private J PATTERSON.
Yorks & Lancs just has four names and no PATTERSON.
Durham Light Infantry have lots of names but my photo only goes down to L/CPL E. BRITTON.

I would be surprised if the names on this and other war memorials are not online.

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=8480#listlink

Boo

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 September 23 16:13 BST (UK) »
CWGC site has Private W PATTERSON no. 14146 14th Bn. Durham Light Infantry died 27 Dec 1917
Ryhope Cemetery 4. 1389

Offline MiraMax131

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.  I am a bit confused because he is on the grave registers and the purchaser was the Imperial War graves Commision so I assumed he must have been one of the war dead but he is not on the War Memorial in Ryhope.   According to the graves registration report he died on 27th December 1917, I have read what I can about the Durham Light Infantry 14th division and it appears the battle of Cambrai finished around the first week in December I am therefore thinking he may have been injured before the end of the battle and maybe died later.  Would he still be on some memorial to the dead?
Williams Patterson was around 45 when he died so that would put him at about birth date 1872 + or - a couple of years and his service number was 14146 he had a son who is buried with him called James William Patterson who died on 17th October 1920.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 08:46 BST (UK) »
I can't find a service record for this man, probably one of the many that were badly damaged or destroyed.
Ancestry does have a record in the UK, British Army World War I Pension Records 1914-1920 dataset for William Patterson of the DLI, service no 14146.
If you have access to Ancestry at home or at the library then you would be able to download it. It is possible to sign up for a free trial but you'd need to be sure to cancel it before the end of the trial or they will charge.

Basically it says he was discharged in Jul 1917 as being medically unfit. He had pulmonary tuberculosis , not caused by , but was aggravated by his service.
As you haven't given us names of wife and children its difficult to be sure its the man you are looking for. There are 3 children mentioned George Henry, Elijah Venus and Sarah Carlisle. No mention of a James WIlliam

Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette, 29 Dec 1917 , page 2 col 4
Deaths

PATTERSON On December 27th, aged 45, William, dearly beloved husband of Mary Patterson. To be interred at Ryhope Cemetery on Sunday December 30th. Cortege to leave residence, 117 Low Railway Street, Ryhope at 2.30 pm. All friends kindly invited.

Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette, 27 Dec 1918 , page 2 col 4
In Memoriam - Roll of Honour

PATTERSON. In loving memory of my dear husband, Private William Patterson, 14th D.L.I. who died Dec 27th 1917, though gas received in action.
No one knows the parting
Or what the parting cos
But the Lord in His great mercy
Has gained what we have lost
- Sadly missed by his loving wife and family

Boo

Offline MiraMax131

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 10:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, that is the William Patterson I am speaking of.  I appreciate your help.
Would that account for the grave being paid for by the Imperial War Graves Commission?