Author Topic: Anyone used Google My Maps and layers to track family movement?  (Read 351 times)

Online Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Anyone used Google My Maps and layers to track family movement?
« on: Sunday 24 September 23 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks, I am researching the Winn/Wind familes of County Durham, England. My own family originates there, or at least I have hit a brick wall at 1735 for my line.
I have been looking at as many Winds in Durham, seeing if there are connections and further clues.
However, there are many families, some related, others not clearly so. Other Wind's move to C Durham from Yorkshire or other areas.

I am considering tracking their family "tree" progressions on a map to see overlaps etc. But these are largely separate families. Has anyone tried this or have experience or advice on how to tackle this.  I intend to use layers and notes to mark and link etc. My research is largely on Wikitree as the trees of Winn/Winds on Ancestry are largely incorrect. MyyDNA and Autosomal results indicate a specific lineage not related to the Irish or Welsh lines, so Im hoping to tease some additional info from the movements.
Thanks for any advice.

Edit - I have now tried layers. There is a limited number you can use.
Its also not sooo easy to add info. the routes between locations works but is limited.
I feel tat to track a whole family or separate lineages on one map may be just too hard, especially when you have all modern locations, restaurants etc etc that are not useful. There may be a way to declutter to make it easier. More experiments follow.
Winn, Wynne, Wynd, Wind, Winde

Online Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone used Google My Maps and layers to track family movement?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 September 23 11:28 BST (UK) »
Ok. I have almost given up on layers for now as I can only use about 5 layers. I wanted to track about 2-3 different lines. It gets messy real quick. One family with its descendants was the limit maybe per layer. I used different color pins for the different sons. I am ATM only trying to show the movements of male lines. For the other family I will try a layer and the same process. I would use a physical map for this except that some families blow in from Yorkshire to Durham, others jump around a lot and I cannot get the detail of the smaller family moves eg Lamesley to Birtley.
Sort of working but there must be a better way. I may look at GaiaGPS and use waypoints as a test.

Online martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 September 23 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have used Google My Maps but mainly to show where families are located at a moment in time. I produce one map say for each census and you can see broadly how families migrated over time by looking at the sequence of maps. I tried using different colour pins for each census on the same map but it becomes very messy.

The good thing about it is that producing the maps is very easy from Family Tree Maker. I export the data as a spreadsheet and Google Maps reads it in directly. A bit of experimentation is needed to get a result that fits your need.

I also use Gaiagps a lot mainly for hiking but I've not used it for family tree work.

Martin

Online Seelife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 September 23 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Martin. I will look at the import function. Yes, I also use Gaiagps for hiking...