Author Topic: Confused about Edward McAteer  (Read 368 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Confused about Edward McAteer
« on: Monday 25 September 23 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I’m currently looking at a gentleman called Edward McAteer, who I believe was born around 1838 in Down, Northern Ireland.

I’m confused about his spouses, and wondering if maybe I’ve confused two different men called Edward McAteer.

Just as a note, the name is written slightly differently in all the transcriptions I've seen. I've tried to replicate that below, for anyone who wants to check up on the records I've used.

I believe that in sometime around 1860 he married, or at least began a relationship with, a woman called Rose McGivern.

Currently, I do not have a marriage record for this match. I only know about the relationship because of baptism records.

I believe this couple had at least three children. This is based on baptism records I’ve accessed through Ancestry. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find reference numbers for the records. They are all from the record collection which is known on Ancestry as ‘Ireland, Catholic Parish Registers, 1655-1915’ or ‘Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911’

There are slight variations in how the names are written in these transcriptions, so I’ve included those below.

George Henry McAteer,
Baptised 4 May 1861
Clonallon, Down, Ireland
Father Edwd McAteer
Mother Rose McGivern

Patrick Mcateer
Baptised 22 Oct 1865
Father Edward Mcateer
Mother Rose Mcgivern

Edward Mc Ateer
Baptised 7 Aug 1868
Warrenpoint, Down, Ireland
Father Edward Mc Ateer
Mother Rose Mc Givern

Then I get confused because it seems that Edward might have had a second relationship with a different woman because there are two more baptism records. (Unless I’ve mixed up two different people of course)

These records are

Joseph James Mcateer
Baptised 2 Jul 1874
Warrenpoint, Down, Ireland
Father Edward Mcateer
Mother Rose Mckiverking

Rose Ellen Mcateer
Baptised 15 Dec 1876
Newry, Down, Ireland
Father Edward Mcateer
Mother Rose Mcateer Mckiverkiny

The reason that I think all these children might have the same father, Edward Mcateer, is that some of them seem to be living together in 1901.

Rose McAteer (I believe this is the second Rose McAteer), appears on the census in 1901 (Class: RG14), as a widow. So Edward was dead by this point.

Rose McAteer, aged 63

Born about 1838, Co Down
Residence Aughemoire, Warrenpoint, Down, Ireland

With here are Maria McAteer, who I don’t know, but she is aged 42.

Also in the house are Patrick McAteer, aged 34. This puts him within the age range of the Patrick McAteer, from Edwards previous relationship - although the age is a year out.

Also in the house is Rose Ellen McAteer, the daughter of the second Rose and Edward.

One of the other brothers from the ‘first Rose’ are accounted for in 1901. Edward (the younger one) was married to a woman called Sarah and living in another part of Warrenpoint. (They would eventually move to Cheshire).

I can’t find what happened to George at all in 1901

I don’t know if I’ve totally messed up here. I’d be grateful if anyone else could shed some light on my thinking. Thank you.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about Edward McAteer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 September 23 20:59 BST (UK) »
'RootsIreland' transcribed records include a marriage for Edward McAteer and Rose McGiveran on 25 May 1856 in Clonallon RC Church witnessed by James Savage and Alice McGiveran. I haven't yet found that marriage among what's available on the NLI RC Parish records website.

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 September 23 21:07 BST (UK) »
My first thought is, are Rose McGiveran and Rose Mckiverking / Mckiverkiny not the same person?  In my experience this would be within the loose parameters of spelling for this era and location.

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 September 23 21:12 BST (UK) »

... I haven't yet found that marriage among what's available on the NLI RC Parish records website.

Found it, Clonallon RC Parish, left page:
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633256#page/47/mode/1up

Edited to add: BTW, notice the spelling of Rose's surname in this instance, together with the different spelling of Alice's surname, this is pretty typical: 

Edw McAteer to Rose McGiveragan
James Savage & Alice McGiveran

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 September 23 21:16 BST (UK) »

... With here are Maria McAteer, who I don’t know, but she is aged 42.

I think Maria was Mary baptised for the couple on 7 April 1857, the sponsors were James and Mary Savage (left page):

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633258#page/98/mode/1up

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 September 23 21:29 BST (UK) »
Another early child to note after Mary... Ellen baptised at Clonallon Church on 17 November 1858, the mother's surname spelled McKiveragan, the witnesses were George McAteer and McKiveragan (right page):

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633258#page/104/mode/1up

So I'm more and more inclined to think this is just the one couple, with different spellings of Rose's surname. 

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 September 23 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all that help Gaffy.

I did wonder about the surnames, but I thought that maybe they were too different. But I have absolutely no experience in that area.

I thought it was a bit odd that he'd married two Rose's so I guess it does seem likely that it's actually the same person.

Thank you very much.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 September 23 21:34 BST (UK) »
Another one, John baptised 23 December 1863, mother's surname spelled McKiveragan, the witnesses were James and Margaret McAteer (right page):

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633258#page/123/mode/1up

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile