Author Topic: mcmullan  (Read 516 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mcmullan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 08:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry to ask again, you say ‘they have it right’ - can you link the record from Family Search?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 09:09 BST (UK) »
There are some published family trees on Ancestry.
 A few have Thomas’ father as William and his siblings, Edward b 1831 and William b 1852.

There are records for Edward- Australia and William’s marriage in 1870 in Rathdown, Co Dublin.

On at least one tree, Thomas is named as a half brother. There are no records to support the links used.

Offline valmick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 09:37 BST (UK) »
sorry not very clever with the computer  when i say family search have it right they say thomas married maryann young at st mayrys church in 1854  then in 1857 william  1859 john was christend danielin 1863 mary 1863 catherine 1864 all in greencastle  thomas died 6 jan 1867  age 33 in leeds  so all of this is good until family search said william the father siblings edward and william born in powers court  wicklow i can get christeing s of edward and william no thomas any where  why i say i think daniel and james are his brothers right down the family there are danniel and james my father and his twin were danniel and my father is james my grand father was thomas his brothers were danniel and james so in them days they kept the same christening names  again thanks mike the mystery continues  half brother would throw a spanner in the works  you never know  mike

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 10:20 BST (UK) »
I would treat the Wicklow connections with great caution.

Dundee posted the 1866 marriage of Margaret McMullan - a possible sister to Thomas.
The groom’s father is shown as deceased which likely means that the bride’s father, Daniel, was still living as he is not shown as deceased.

You have baptisms which have Catherine Young as a Godmother.
There is a marriage in 1862 for Catherine Young and Robert Barkley where Margaret McMullan is a witness. This seems to link the families.

There are deaths for Daniel McMullan here https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sox/

The first three seem to be the only possible ones. I would hope that Daniel’s death is either the one who dies in 1867, aged 70 yrs or possibly, the one aged 60 yrs in 1868.

These are not yet online so you would have to order certificates to check and, of course, they may not be helpful as your Thomas had left by then to live in Leeds.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 11:14 BST (UK) »
James' marriage to Ellen MURPHY, again father Daniel is a shoemaker.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1869/11425/8197138.pdf

The sponsor Daniel might have been Thomas' father, not necessarily a brother.

It looks to me as though the connection to Edward and William from Wicklow has been made via DNA testing of descendants so perhaps there is a connection there but they are not necessarily brothers.

Debra  :)

Offline valmick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 11:41 BST (UK) »
 well seems to be getting somewhere i think it seems daniel is thomas,s father . still to find out where the mcmullans are from in ireland i was thinking they were origanaly from southern  ireland who knows  thanks everybody  for your help any more imformation would be great  all the very best   mike

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 15:22 BST (UK) »
At the time of Thomas’ birth, it was all Ireland - it was not ‘Northern’ and ‘Southern’ Ireland.

Offline valmick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 September 23 00:50 BST (UK) »
if it was only true today  thanks heywood