Author Topic: Ancestry Update  (Read 869 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Update
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 21:33 BST (UK) »
I have now received the update and for me not a great deal has changed. Being red green colour blind the thing I struggle with is the colours!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 21:49 BST (UK) »
Very disappointed, no change in my ethnicity estimate, or my cousin on my mum's side's estimate either.  Dad's 97% Irish/3% Scottish has become 94%/6%!

Of course I'm not really disappointed, I am assuming that they have got the distinguishing of differences between Irish and Scottish as accurate as it is going to be for a while, which is why my 79% Irish/21% Scottish has not changed. My cousin's maternal side sort of matches mine, with her estimate reflecting 46% Irish and 4% Scottish, obviously a lot less Scottish than I am (proportionally), that's sibling differences for you!  Her Father is completely different being from the very southeasterly corner of Poland, just over the border from Lviv/Lvov in Ukraine, from him she is 45% Eastern Europe & Russia, with 5% Baltic.   That hasn't changed either!

Out of interest, and this is not new with this current update, my cousins communities are amazingly accurate for where her Dad grew up, picking out the 2 county towns, between which he was born in a tiny village.  I have been impressed by this, especially as you might not imagine that many in Poland would be being tested or becoming part of the necessary reference groups there, either!

On one hand you would imagine that such a part of 'back of beyond' rural eastern Poland might have had a comparatively stable population, with few moving about and away to complicate matters, if it wasn't for the fact that my uncle and all of the young men living there were ordered to run for their lives when the Nazi's approached their world in late 1939.  And of course, there are the  'unpleasant' things that happened during and after the war, when the Soviet block took control.  So much for a potentially stable population!

Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 21:58 BST (UK) »
Mine has not changed much, and I wasn't expecting many significant changes really. I imagine maybe the update is perhaps focusing on previously underserved areas of the globe?

Previous result

England & Northwestern Europe = 60%
Scotland = 26%
Ireland = 9%
Sweden & Denmark = 5%

Updated result

England & Northwestern Europe = 56%
Scotland = 24%
Ireland = 10%
Sweden & Denmark = 6%
Wales = 4%

So I've basically picked up a bit of Wales. I think my results are pretty standard for someone who is from the North of England.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 22:18 BST (UK) »
Mine has been updated as well.

I am now Twice the Viking I was before.

Less British.

More Italian

More Greek.

Probably all change again next year.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 23:25 BST (UK) »
More Irish and less Scottish!

Other areas the same -Wales, Norway and Sweden/Denmark.

::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 September 23 07:30 BST (UK) »
Small changes. Still 74% English but Swedish/Danish 9% German 8% with Scots down from 8% to 3%. Irish 4% and Welsh 2% unchanged

My wife's has switched 3% from Swedish/Danish to English; now 89% English, 9% Swedish/Danish and 2% Scots

All our traceable Ancestry is from Southern England

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 September 23 08:18 BST (UK) »
Mine has no change at all, but it definitely says it's now the Sept 2023 update

OH has gone from
England & Northwestern Europe 71%
Sweden & Denmark 24%
Ireland 3%
Wales 2%

to

England & Northwestern Europe 68%
Sweden & Denmark 14%
Norway 8%
Germanic Europe 3%
Ireland 3%
Wales 2%
Scotland 2%

He's lost 3% on England and NW Europe - has that become Germanic Europe? And lost a whopping 10% on Sweden and Denmark, which seems to be the new Norway and Scotland added together
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline JLamont

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 October 23 22:46 BST (UK) »
I'm new here, but I do have a fair amount of information on my family, on both sides.
I undertook the DNA test some years ago and have mixed success tracing relatives through that route. My roots on my Father's side are Northern Irish and Scottish, while on my Mother's side are almost exclusively Irish (although there is a hint of Welsh in there somewhere that I have yet to trace).

To be honest, the principal purpose of this post is to start the process of writing three posts so that I can contact at least two people on this platform to whom I am distantly related!
So if 'Janethepain' and Edinburgh86 are reading this, we're distant cousins... Your GGGGrandparents Daniel Lamont and Catherine Darroch are my GGGrandparents!

I'll be following various threads here on Rootschat and contribute as best I can.