Author Topic: Barebones....Barnsley St John.....Burials  (Read 329 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Barebones....Barnsley St John.....Burials
« on: Tuesday 26 September 23 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there
A family group of mine were listed in 1851 as living in "Barebones"
This area seems to have been in Barnsley St John.
St John is not covered by Ancestrys WRY parish record collection ( I must admit, I've only just realised this)
I have several deaths in this 1851 period and I can*t find burial records for any.
Any idea where to access ?
Thanks for any pointers
Rebel

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barebones....Barnsley St John.....Burials
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 19:19 BST (UK) »
I presume you have checked the GRO Index?

If you care to list the names we can have a look for you.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 19:41 BST (UK) »
Barnsley parish registers are at West Yorkshire Archives in Wakefield, but their guide doesn't mention a burial register for St John's. According to the National Index of Parish Registers, St John's was created out of St George's parish, where there were burials, so that might be a good place to look.

You could also check out the transcripts produced by Barnsley FHS, though unfortunately they seem not to have burials for St George's after 1845. One nice thing about Barnsley FHS is that their publication listings include a list of all the surnames found in a book, which takes away some of the risk of buying on the off-chance.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi again and thanks for your replies
Looking again at Ancestry's coverage of the Barnsley area, it seems that  for no parish are ALL records available. And for one of my missing many, I found her this afternoon with her surname used as her parish of abode. That sort of thing only comes to light when plodding manually through the original images. Tiring stuff..
I couldn't find a page at the Barnsley FHS where I could search the publications for a surname as suggested  by arthurk. Possibly I was looking in the wrong place!
For the moment, I will carry on checking the oroiginal images available and see what else turns up
Thanks
Rebel

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 19:48 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find a page at the Barnsley FHS where I could search the publications for a surname as suggested  by arthurk. Possibly I was looking in the wrong place!

Click the Shop link in the top menu - this takes you to their page at Genfair. Here you either browse the menus and look at the surname list for each individual item, or use the Search Supplier box to find all the publications with that name in. (The latter probably won't work well with a common surname.)

Good luck  :) :)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 23 08:00 BST (UK) »
Oh! That's really easy!
How could I have been so stupid?! (no answer required...!)

Sometimes an old-fashioned booklet is the best way forward.
Thanks arthurk for that pointer.
Rebel

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 October 23 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barebones was Worsborouh Common, my great grandmother was born there in 1865 and her baptism is at St Thomas Worsborouh if that helps
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 October 23 20:57 GMT (UK) »
That should be Worsborough,  they pronounce it Wuzz bro
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks