Author Topic: LookUp Request - Thomas Carr - Galway - Born 1835, Died 2/23/1871 San Francisco,  (Read 243 times)

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello!  I am back on the search for information about my Irish ancestors.  My GGF was born in Galway around 1835, Thomas Carr as was my GGM, Bridget Rooney - born 1834. I have found a marriage certificate for them in New York, in 1857.  I posted this about 18 months ago, and I am a beginner, so if I should reference that trail here, please let me know.  Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.  Thank you. 
Hamon: Jersey Island; Carr: Galway, Ireland; Rooney: Galway, Ireland; Gallick: Mexico; Knoblauch: Poland; Gumpert: Poland

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: LookUp Request - Thomas Carr - Galway - Born 1835, Died 2/23/1871 San Francisco,
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi lizajean,

Thank you for asking; it is very helpful to add links about previous posts so we don’t duplicate efforts.

I lived in San Francisco for years; perhaps I can help.  In addition, others will come along to help as well.  :)

What questions do you have at this time, please?  Lisa

Added:  I just noticed you posted in Galway.  I’m still available to help if you need any details from California.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LookUp Request - Thomas Carr - Galway - Born 1835, Died 2/23/1871 San Francisco,
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Lisa.

I am looking for their baptism or birth certificates and information about their parents.  Here is the link to the original trail - hope this works:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=858621.0

Thank you!

Hamon: Jersey Island; Carr: Galway, Ireland; Rooney: Galway, Ireland; Gallick: Mexico; Knoblauch: Poland; Gumpert: Poland

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 19:58 BST (UK) »
I found your original post after I submitted my reply (above).  I then realized that you were inquiring about Irish records today.  I most likely cannot help with Irish documents, but if there is anything (newspaper articles, addresses, etc.) that I can research for their time in California, I’d be happy to help.

Sorry about the confusion on my part; thank you for posting the link.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 20:05 BST (UK) »
I would be very appreciative of any research in San Francisco, California.  They were both living in San Francisco as of the 1860 Census with their 1st son, Michael.  They lived out their lives in the San Francisco area.  Their daughter, Delia Carr, is my Great Grandmother. I have also not had any luck finding her birth certificate, but know she was born in SF in 1861 and was married to my Great Grandfather, James Alpheus Hamon.

I realize now that I have stated who Thomas and Bridget are incorrectly.  They are both my Great Great Grandparents. 
Thank you.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 20:18 BST (UK) »
So that I don’t clutter up this topic with any California details, it probably would be best to post the California details in the USA forum.  Perhaps you can copy and paste your paragraph there and post a link to this topic.

In the meantime, I will have a look around for them.  Thank you, Lisa

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 21:03 BST (UK) »
Saw this on the US board as well.  Note that Carr is used interchangeably with Kerr when researching in Ireland.  Delia's birth is likely long before they began to register births in California; however, you might find a baptismal record for her. I note they are buried in Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery so you should see about finding where the Archdiocese of San Francisco keeps their archives.