Author Topic: LookUp Request for Delia Carr - San Francisco - Born 1861  (Read 556 times)

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LookUp Request for Delia Carr - San Francisco - Born 1861
« on: Tuesday 26 September 23 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 I am back on the search for information about my Irish ancestors.  My Great Great Grandparents were born in Galway around 1834, Thomas Carr and Bridget Rooney. I have found a marriage certificate for them in New York, in 1857 and then in San Francisco in 1860 where they lived out their lives.  My Great Grandmother, Delia Carr, was born in San Francisco in 1861 and died in 1894. I don't have any record of her birth or baptism. Any information on this would be very appreciated.  Delia was married to James Alpheus Hamon.  I'm a beginner so Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Also, here is a link to the thread on Ireland forum:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=876831.new#new

Thank you.
Hamon: Jersey Island; Carr: Galway, Ireland; Rooney: Galway, Ireland; Gallick: Mexico; Knoblauch: Poland; Gumpert: Poland

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: LookUp Request for Delia Carr - San Francisco - Born 1861
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi lizajean,

I have not yet found details for Delia, but in case you don’t have other details about her family…

Burial record for Delia’s father, Thomas:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sou/
Buried in Calvary Cemetery, San Francisco.  Reinterred in Holy Cross Cemetery, Colma.  (I believe Calvary Cemetery closed and deceased individuals were reinterred in other cemeteries.)
Francisco and Kearny Streets (where he lived) were quite close to the waterfront. Over the years, I’ve not come across anyone else living in that area.  I’m curious about the neighbourhood and will research I tonight.

Bridget’s obituary
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sov/

I believe I found other things (I have a lot of tabs open); will post in a few moments.

Added:. Obit for Delia’s husband
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sow/
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 21:26 BST (UK) »
I have to run an errand in a few minutes.  I will resume later today.  Perhaps in the meantime, someone will find her birth/baptism details.

Do you already have details about her family in California?  If not, we can continue looking.

Delia’s husband was interred in Holy Cross Cemetery, Colma, California.  My husband’s relatives/ancestors were interred in Holy Cross.  The cemetery staff is amazing - polite, patient, caring, etc.  They were very helpful when we visited.  Have you contacted the staff (providing that Delia was buried there) to see if Delia’s birthdate was recorded in her burial records?  I believe their records are computerized; they may be able to find Delia’s details rather quickly.

https://holycrosscemeteries.com/holy-cross-colma/

Apologies for leaving and typing a possibly confusing paragraph, I’m trying to rush through this.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 21:38 BST (UK) »
I have some information about her family in California.  I did not know it was unusual to live in that part of town and have also seen that Delia and my great grandfather, James Alpheus Hamon, lived in that same neighborhood. He was a Mariner, so I assumed this was the reason.  I have found an interesting newspaper clipping of their life:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SN18890531.2.8&srpos=21&e=01-01-1850-01-01-1920--en--20--21--txt-txIN-James+Hamon-------1

Thank you for the recommendation to call Holy Cross cemetery.  I just called and left a message.
Hamon: Jersey Island; Carr: Galway, Ireland; Rooney: Galway, Ireland; Gallick: Mexico; Knoblauch: Poland; Gumpert: Poland

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 September 23 21:40 BST (UK) »
Here is another article about a party that Delia and James had at their house:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SN18880907.2.28&srpos=2&e=01-01-1850-01-01-1920--en--20--1--txt-txIN-James+Hamon-------1

My grandfather, Philip Thomas Hamon, is mentioned in attendance. 

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 00:35 BST (UK) »
The Morning Call
November 29, 1894
Page 8

=====

San Francisco Chronicle
Friday, Nov 30, 1894
San Francisco, CA
Page: 11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 00:37 BST (UK) »
I have some information about her family in California.  I did not know it was unusual to live in that part of town and have also seen that Delia and my great grandfather, James Alpheus Hamon, lived in that same neighborhood. He was a Mariner, so I assumed this was the reason.  I have found an interesting newspaper clipping of their life:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SN18890531.2.8&srpos=21&e=01-01-1850-01-01-1920--en--20--21--txt-txIN-James+Hamon-------1

Thank you for the recommendation to call Holy Cross cemetery.  I just called and left a message.

I’m not sure if it was unusual to live in their neighbourhood, I’ve just never run across it before. 

Without giving exact details, please, may I ask if you live in the western US?  If so, I won’t explain too much about San Francisco or the “Bay Area”.

When we lived in the Bay Area, Holy Cross staff were quite helpful when we “had” to call.  But, I generally either visit cemetery offices, or write, feeling perhaps staff might take more care into lookups if they can do so when it is convenient for them. If you do not hear back from them by the end of the week, I might suggest writing (and explaining the relationship you have to the deceased, and that you cannot visit in person, if that is the case).

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 00:38 BST (UK) »
Excellent find, RJ137!

Added: if I calculated the figures correctly, she was born on
Thursday, Feb. 21, 1861