Author Topic: LookUp Request for Delia Carr - San Francisco - Born 1861  (Read 558 times)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LookUp Request for Delia Carr - San Francisco - Born 1861
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 00:45 BST (UK) »
Daily Evening Bulletin
Friday, Feb 24, 1871
San Francisco, CA

=====

San Francisco Chronicle
Saturday, Feb 25, 1871
San Francisco, CA
Page: 4

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 01:06 BST (UK) »
I have some information about her family in California.  I did not know it was unusual to live in that part of town and have also seen that Delia and my great grandfather, James Alpheus Hamon, lived in that same neighborhood. He was a Mariner, so I assumed this was the reason.  I have found an interesting newspaper clipping of their life:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SN18890531.2.8&srpos=21&e=01-01-1850-01-01-1920--en--20--21--txt-txIN-James+Hamon-------1

Thank you for the recommendation to call Holy Cross cemetery.  I just called and left a message.

I’m not sure if it was unusual to live in their neighbourhood, I’ve just never run across it before. 

Without giving exact details, please, may I ask if you live in the western US?  If so, I won’t explain too much about San Francisco or the “Bay Area”.

When we lived in the Bay Area, Holy Cross staff were quite helpful when we “had” to call.  But, I generally either visit cemetery offices, or write, feeling perhaps staff might take more care into lookups if they can do so when it is convenient for them. If you do not hear back from them by the end of the week, I might suggest writing (and explaining the relationship you have to the deceased, and that you cannot visit in person, if that is the case).

Yes, I am currently just North of San Francisco.  I was born in this area and have lived here most of my life so I am familiar.  That is good to know about the cemetery.  I'll see if they get back to me.  Thank you.
Hamon: Jersey Island; Carr: Galway, Ireland; Rooney: Galway, Ireland; Gallick: Mexico; Knoblauch: Poland; Gumpert: Poland

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 01:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I won’t get carried away elaborating on things now.  ;D

Delia’s burial in Calvary Cemetery:
https://www.sfgenealogy.org/php/cemetery/cemeteryviewer.php?a=348132&b=0&c=1
It’s a bit descriptive.  :'(  I’ve never seen this type of record before.

Since she was reinterred, Holy Cross may have few details regarding those removed from other cemeteries.  However, thanks to RJ137, you have an approximate date of birth, if not an exact one.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 01:22 BST (UK) »
OH, that's interesting - she was moved. I think I remember hearing that they moved a lot of bodies out to Colma at one point.  Could this be why?  Hmm.

Thank you!

How did you find that!!?  Amazing.
Hamon: Jersey Island; Carr: Galway, Ireland; Rooney: Galway, Ireland; Gallick: Mexico; Knoblauch: Poland; Gumpert: Poland

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 01:29 BST (UK) »
"I’ve not come across anyone else living in that area."

Much later, in the 1920s, my delightfully lunatic cousin Dorothea Childs [aka Myrtokleia Sawvelle; she was NOT a member of the Russian nobility] ran a notorious and riotous speakeasy at 31 Alta Street. This is in the same neighborhood, about four blocks from the intersection of Kearney and San Francisco. The house at 31 Alta Street is one of the oldest surviving buildings in San Francisco.

https://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title=Prohibition_Bust_at_31_Alta_Street
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 01:57 BST (UK) »
“Several years ago, a coffin was found that contained the remains of a young girl.  If I remember correctly, she was buried in a cemetery but was not reinterred when the cemetery closed.  Apparently, loved ones were not always moved.”

One report, if you are interested:
https://www.ktvu.com/news/preserved-child-found-in-glass-coffin-under-san-francisco-home-idd

Note: I was trying to add information and removed my original text from this entry.   :-[ :-[ :-[

One thing that I originally typed…
Info about the old cemeteries
https://www.foundsf.org/index.php?title=Old_Cemeteries_in_the_City
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 02:00 BST (UK) »
What a beautiful house, Erato!  I’ll read the article in a few moments.

I do like the description of your cousin.  ;)

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 02:17 BST (UK) »

Much later, in the 1920s, my delightfully lunatic cousin Dorothea Childs [aka Myrtokleia Sawvelle; she was NOT a member of the Russian nobility] ran a notorious and riotous speakeasy at 31 Alta Street. This is in the same neighborhood, about four blocks from the intersection of Kearney and San Francisco. The house at 31 Alta Street is one of the oldest surviving buildings in San Francisco.

My great Grandparents - James Alpheus Hamon (Delia's husband and my great grandfather) was living at 133 Chestnut Street (between Dupont and Kearny) according to his death notice.

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 02:19 BST (UK) »

What a gorgeous house and great story!!