Author Topic: What military uniform? Help, please  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Time Runner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
What military uniform? Help, please
« on: Wednesday 27 September 23 09:36 BST (UK) »
Can anyone identify this chap's uniform?

I think it's allied WWII, but it may be earlier (or later if I'm completely lost!).

Family stories would have it that he's an ancestor of mine, but I have little to go on, so any help in identifying his military credentials would be gratefully received.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What military uniform? Help, please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 10:19 BST (UK) »
Although the slouch hat is most closely associated with the Australian Army, it was/is worn by soldiers of many other nations including the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, India and even France in certain circumstances. The key to identifying this chap's unit is his capbadge, which is difficult to make out. My initial though was that it isn't the Australian Infantry rising sun badge, but hard to be sure. Also the shoulder flash may be some help although I haven't been able to find it.

Offline Time Runner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. It's a tricky one, isn't it!

I've attached a detail from the back of the photo, a serial number. I don't know if it's relevant, or simply some photographer's admin (there's also a handwritten personal note, which I haven't included because I was worried that this wasn't the correct section of the forum for it; I understand that Roots Chat has a separate section for dating photos and identifying handwriting...?).

And also, family tradition would suggest that he lived or was stationed at or near, or passed through, East Grinstead, Sussex, England, some time during the first half of 1940. I share this fact with trepidation as it may be a red herring. As I said in my original post, I have very little to go on.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 11:48 BST (UK) »
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Time Runner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I will investigate that badge.

I've found another couple of pics that may help (as you can tell, I'm really in the dark here).

The first is a pic from the same sitting as the original post (though poorer quality), and the second is – possibly – the same man at another time.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 16:35 BST (UK) »
I don't think the third picture is the same man, similar yes, but look at the ear lobes. In pictures one and two the lobe continues down to join the jaw line, whereas in the third image the lobe is more pendulous. Even the passage of time wouldn't account for this change.

Offline Time Runner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 September 23 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hmm, yes, I think you're right. The ears certainly speak against them being the same person.

Am I right to think that – on the first two photos – the regimental insignia is pinned to the folded-up flap of the hat?

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 September 23 10:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's almost certainly a capbadge on the side. As can be seen from the second photograph, he doesn't have a capbadge on the front of his hat, which reinforces the idea that it's on the side.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 18:03 BST (UK) »
It will not be a badge but a cloth flash or patch which will designate his unit.