Author Topic: Lookup Request: Thomas Hamon (1815-1885) - Caroline Cooper (1819-1890)  (Read 383 times)

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup Request: Thomas Hamon (1815-1885) - Caroline Cooper (1819-1890)
« on: Wednesday 27 September 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hello All - I am once again doing some research into my Jersey Island ancestors.  I had another post in 2022 that I will link below.

My Great Great Grandparents Thomas Hamon and Caroline Cooper came over to America with my great grandfather, James Alpheus, in 1849.  I have their marriage certificate from 1838 in St. Clement, but do not have any information on their births or parents.  I also don't have any birth or baptism information for James Alpheus born 1847.

Any help or suggestions very much appreciated.

Post from 2022

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=858524.0

Many thanks! Elizabeth
Hamon: Jersey Island; Carr: Galway, Ireland; Rooney: Galway, Ireland; Gallick: Mexico; Knoblauch: Poland; Gumpert: Poland

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request: Thomas Hamon (1815-1885) - Caroline Cooper (1819-1890)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 19:22 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Jerripedia? http://search.jerripediabmd.net/Default
Or FindMyPast.
Or FamilySearch.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 September 23 19:32 BST (UK) »
I have tried Find My Past but not the other's you mentioned.  Thank you!
Hamon: Jersey Island; Carr: Galway, Ireland; Rooney: Galway, Ireland; Gallick: Mexico; Knoblauch: Poland; Gumpert: Poland

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 23 00:45 BST (UK) »
Caroline Hamon, born in England, c1821, is on the 1841 Jersey census. In the same household are Susan Cooper, born England 1820, William Cooper, born Jersey 1828 and Cecilia Cooper born Jersey 1828.
William and Cecilia's baptisms are on the Jersey Archive site which names their parents as Robert Cooper and Marguerite McDonald.
Marguerite McDonald,widow of Robert Cooper, died in the parish of Grouville in Nov 1840.
Robert Cooper died in the parish of Grouville in July 1832

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 23 03:19 BST (UK) »
Caroline Hamon, born in England, c1821, is on the 1841 Jersey census. In the same household are Susan Cooper, born England 1820, William Cooper, born Jersey 1828 and Cecilia Cooper born Jersey 1828.
William and Cecilia's baptisms are on the Jersey Archive site which names their parents as Robert Cooper and Marguerite McDonald.
Marguerite McDonald,widow of Robert Cooper, died in the parish of Grouville in Nov 1840.
Robert Cooper died in the parish of Grouville in July 1832

Hello and thank you.  I think I have also found Caroline's baptismal record - finally!  There is a Susannah Caroline Cooper baptized in London on 1826, Father, Robert Cooper, Mother Margaret. I found it through Ancestry and don't know how to attach file here.  Is there a way to attach a file from your computer? 

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 October 23 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you.  I think I have also found Caroline's baptismal record - finally!  There is a Susannah Caroline Cooper baptized in London on 1826, Father, Robert Cooper, Mother Margaret. I found it through Ancestry and don't know how to attach file here.  Is there a way to attach a file from your computer?

Not on a sub-forum that is a "Lookup Request".
Certain sub-forums don't allow attachments. ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 October 23 15:01 BST (UK) »

Not on a sub-forum that is a "Lookup Request".
Certain sub-forums don't allow attachments. ;)

Ok, thank you.  I have been looking at Island Wiki and also working on Ancestry and have found a lot of names that are aligning with this tree on the "Hamon" side.

https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Descendants_of_Jourdain_Hamon_(1470)

A lot more work to do, but I'm happy about the progress.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 23 16:27 BST (UK) »
I'd be a bit doubtful about the 1826 baptism that you found in Islington for Susannah Caroline.
From the 1841 census the inference is that Susan, William and Cecilia are siblings of Caroline which makes it a mystery why Robert and Margaret would name 2 daughters Susan, unless the baptism is actually that of Caroline's sister. Did you notice that a Robert Cooper of the same parents was baptised on the same day?

Going back to Thomas Hamon -he was born in about 1816 and was the son of Thomas Hamon and Susanne Rachel Ereaux who married on 9 Mar 1815. However Thomas Snr must have died pretty soon after the marriage as Susanne married Elie Coutanche on 9 May 1820.

There was only one birth actually registered as a child of Thomas Hamon and Caroline Cooper and that was Thomas Alfred Charles in 1842/3 however there are 2 baptisms. The first was Thomas A C baptised in St Helier on 22 Feb 1843 and the other was Charles Thomas also in St Helier on 24 Dec 1848. The godmother of Charles Thomas was Susanne Rachel Ereaux. I imagine he was the 3 month old Thomas shown on the passenger list for the Typhis which arrived in New York in May 1849.

The Hamon-Ereaux-Cooper connection is further strengthened by the fact that William Cooper is living with Elie and Susanne Coutanche on the 1851 census.

Offline lizajean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 19:08 BST (UK) »
I'd be a bit doubtful about the 1826 baptism that you found in Islington for Susannah Caroline.
From the 1841 census the inference is that Susan, William and Cecilia are siblings of Caroline which makes it a mystery why Robert and Margaret would name 2 daughters Susan, unless the baptism is actually that of Caroline's sister. Did you notice that a Robert Cooper of the same parents was baptised on the same day?

Going back to Thomas Hamon -he was born in about 1816 and was the son of Thomas Hamon and Susanne Rachel Ereaux who married on 9 Mar 1815. However Thomas Snr must have died pretty soon after the marriage as Susanne married Elie Coutanche on 9 May 1820.

There was only one birth actually registered as a child of Thomas Hamon and Caroline Cooper and that was Thomas Alfred Charles in 1842/3 however there are 2 baptisms. The first was Thomas A C baptised in St Helier on 22 Feb 1843 and the other was Charles Thomas also in St Helier on 24 Dec 1848. The godmother of Charles Thomas was Susanne Rachel Ereaux. I imagine he was the 3 month old Thomas shown on the passenger list for the Typhis which arrived in New York in May 1849.

The Hamon-Ereaux-Cooper connection is further strengthened by the fact that William Cooper is living with Elie and Susanne Coutanche on the 1851 census.

I see what you are saying now about the London baptism.  Frustrating.  I can't find a Caroline Cooper baptism during that time.  I've also had no luck finding my great grandfather, James A. Hamon's baptism, although I see him with Thomas and Caroline on a immigration document in New York as a 2yo in 1849.

The search continues.  Thank you for your help!