Author Topic: John Stewart - 1642 Scottish Will  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stewart - 1642 Scottish Will
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 15:42 BST (UK) »
1637   GD124/2/49    Letters of horning and poinding at instance of Archibald Campbell of Euphan, Capt of Dunone [Dunoon], and Jean Stewart, his spouse, against William Stewart, fiar of Ambusmoir [Ambrismore], and Ninian Stewart of Askoke [Ascog], formerly fiar thereof, as cautioners for umquhil John Stewart of Askok (father of the said Ninian), for payment of a bond 17 Dec 1635.   17 Jan 1637

1637   GD124/2/53    Discharge by Mr Patrick Stewart of Roisland [Roseland] to Ninian Stewart of Kilkatten [Kilchattan] of a bond of warrandice by Ninian and by umquhil John Stewart of Askoge [Ascog] to Mr Patrick in so far as the bond extends to one half of the money borrowed by Mr Patrick for the use of Ninian and John from Robert Fleming, merchant burgess of Edinburgh.   22 Jul 1637

This may or not help with the questions in my last post.  It does at least show who the captain was.  It now looks to me like "denune" in the will.  I wonder if Archibald Campbell was married to John Stewart's daughter Jeane by 1637...

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 20:21 BST (UK) »
The entry from the catalogue of the NRS which you posted gives the fiar of Ambrismore as William. The testament and inventory abbreviates his name to wa, hence my tentative Walter?, since William is usually abbreviated to Wm. I have changed my transcription of the last page, but it still says wa[lter?] in the notes/corrections to p 5 and I can't change them now.

There is nothing really odd about High Boyd being referred to as son in law of the defunct. Three different people have been involved in the writing of the document and the format you have here is not the original papers, but the entry of them in the court books. The fact that it is written in a less than orderly way is probably due the number of scribes.

On closer inspection, the name at the end of the 14th line of page 5 is "S(i)r James stewart".

In Scotland the word used is confirmation, rather than probate, which tends to be an English term.

The Ninian Stewart elder of Kilchattan mentioned at the end is there because he he has become cautioner for the executor. He cannot, therefore, be the same person as John Strewart of Ascog's eldest son Ninian, as he is the executor.

The reference to cautioners in the first of the two NRS records is not a reference to cautioners for the executor of the testament, but as cautioners for the bond.

The place-name is Denune = Dunoon. The crescent mark above the word was often used over the letter u in the same way that a dot is used over an i or j.

I looked through the debts owed to John Stewart (starting near the end of page 2) and these are Stewart references  extracted from it:

p 2

Item y[ai]r (= there) was awin to the s[ai]d vmq[uhi]le Johne stewart Be niniane stewart of [a filler, not a place] [con]forme to his [blank, but would refer to a bond] Lxxx lib.

Item be (= by) w[illi]a[m] stewart fear (= fiar) of ambrismoir j c xxxiij lib vj s viij d

Item be (= by) [no first name given] stewart of kilhattin [con]forme to ane compt (= account) j m iij c xxxiij lib. vj s viij d

p 3

Item be (= by) Jon stewart oy (= grandson) to the defunct vj c xxxj lib. xiiij s viij d

The reference to the defunct is the same as for Hugh Boyd.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 October 23 12:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks GR2.  Noted RE William Stewart of Ambrismore.  Here is the text I have from page 5 based on your corrections.

Item to the Laird of portincros (nr West Kilbride, Ayrshire) ij c Lxxiij lib. vj s viij d.  Item to
Jonet boyd spouse to Colen sylureone (??) & yr bairnes ij c Lxxx me[r]ks
Item to the Laird of bishoptoun iij c lib.  Item to mr James
hamiltoun in glasgow (?) xi c merks.  Item to James hamiltoun his wyff
ij c xl merks.  Item to Jon mcKevene (McKeon) Litster (dyer) in glasgowe ij c merks.
Item to mr Patack stewart for w[illi]a[m] flemyng v c merks.  Item to
Johne Ker and Katherine vitha[r] (Catherine Wither) j c merks.  Item to niniane spence
of wester (?) K…… ij c merks.  Item to Duncane Lamond fiare of
Knockdal (Knockdale) ij c merks.  Item to Donald mcneill of Calhilie ij c me[r]ks.
Item to w[illi]a[m] sympsone fyftie merks.  Item to Donald Kyarmichell (Carmichael)
fyftie merks.   Item to hew boyd sone in law to the defunct restand (remaining)
of his tocher guid (dowry goods) jm (1000) merks.  Item to marg Richie xl merks.  Item to
the capitane of denune [Dunoon] v c merks.  Item to Ro[ber]t B…. in A….t
tuies bairnes xl merks.  Item to Jon hugone (Hughan) xx lib.  Item to Sr James
stewart of bute j c merks.  Item to Jon stewart feare (fiar) of …..stine
j c merks.  Item to herbestoun me[rchan]d in Glasgow ij c xl lib.  Item to James
stewart in glasgow Lxxx Lib.  Item to Ro[ber]t mcgilchrist me[rchan]d lxvij lib.
Item to Jon nicoll younger xl lib.  Item to Ro[ber]t Smyth in Cmry (Cumbrae?) sone
in Law to Ro[ber]t huntar Lxxxvj lib xiij s iiij d.  Item to Jon mcco(nlsye?)
in Koutatsone (??) xl merks.  Item to Ro[ber]t herair tailzeor in glasgowe
xx lib.  Item to mathew stewart in E[dinbu]r[gh] xx lib.  Item to Barbara Semple
Lady Lamond conforme to ane band (in conformance w/ bond) ij c merks.  Item to mr hew bisbane
in e[dinbu]r[gh] ij c merks.  Item to El[iza]byt[h] michell and hir (her) bairnes v c merks
Legacy.  Item I leave to helene stewart my dochter jaj (1000) merks of the
moneys abowewrittine awin to me be niniane stewart of Kilcattin.  Ite[m]
I leave to Jeane Stewart my youngest dochter ane vther thowsand
merks of the samy[n] moneys awin to me be niniane stewart of Kilkattin.
Item I leave to Cristiane stewart docht[er] to umq[uhi]le James
Stewart of ardinho my oy [grandchild] ij c merks to be payit to hir aff [off] the
moneys abowewrittine awin to me be hir brother.  Item I [l]eave
and assig[n]e to w[illi]a[m] stewart my oy (grandchild) j c merks of the samy[n] money and
to El[iza]byt[h] Stewart his sister ane vther j c merks y[air]of.  Item I ordane
and leaves to be distribute to the poore xx merks the tyme of my
buriall.  Item I ordane xl s to be forgevin to my tennents of evrie
boll that Restis (remains) in y[ai]r hands to [        ] nixt less nor (less than) the fiar (fixed price) of ye
crop 1635 and ordane xx s to be forgevin to ilk (each) and that is
awin me of the Lady’s victuals (grain paid as part of rent) to the fiare 1635 zeire.  Item I
leave Jealls Kelsoe my spous all my sheip and second best horse.  Ite[m]
I leave to Jon Stewart my sone ane zoung zellowe maire.  Item
I leave all the rest of my guides & geir frie frome debt and
legacie to be equallie devydit & distribut betwixt Ro[ber]t Johne
Helene and Jeane stewarts my bairnes except twentie aucht bolls

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 October 23 14:26 BST (UK) »
Looking at your revised page:

line 2 - the mystery name is either sylvellene or syrvellene, but I can't think what the modern equivalent is
4 - you can remove the (?) after glasgow
6 - it is Patrick, rather than Patrack
12 - marg should be mar[garet]
14 the word at the start of the line (tuies) means "twice", perhaps the clerk meant to write "two"
19 - I think the name at the end might (?) be mconache (= MacConachie)
22 - the name at the end should be birsbane (= Brisbane)
35 - the missing word is m[ar]times (= Martinmas, 11th November, a quarter day in Scotland for the payment of rents etc.)
36 - the autocorrect is always changing ane  to and! ilk ane (= each one)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 October 23 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Yes, autocorrect did keep intervening!  I did turn it off at one stage but then turned it back on for something else...  Do you think the below is a fair summary of the document and the pertinent genealogical information?

John Stewart of Ascog (with his son Ninian) made an inventory of his goods on 22nd January 1636.  John wrote his will on 24th January 1636, appointing as executors his son Ninian, wife Jealls Kelsoe, and son-in-law William Stewart of Ambrismore.  John died in July 1636. 

The inventory was given up by Ninian Stewart, the lawful son and only executor.  Confirmation was granted 21st January 1642.  Ninian Stewart of Kilchattan acted as cautioner to Ninian Stewart the son.  (There was a third Ninian Stewart (of Largizean in Kingarth) who was witness to the will.)

The inventory shows John Stewart had property in Ascog, Mid Ascog and Largievrechtan (and possibly other places).  He was owed a sum of money (several thousand merks?) by Ninian Stewart of Kilchattan.  He was also owed money by his grandson John Stewart, his son-in-law William Stewart of Abrismore, and others.

Hypothetical family tree based on the will…

John Stewart of Ascog (d. 1636) m. ?__? (1st wife??)
---- Ninian Stewart (John’s eldest son and heir)
---- ?__? Stewart m. Hew Boyd (John’s son-in-law)
---- ?__? Stewart…
-------- John Stewart (John’s grandson who owed money)
---- ?__? Stewart m. James Stewart of Ardinho (deceased in 1636)
-------- Christian Stewart (John’s granddaughter)
-------- ?__? Stewart (brother of Christian, owed money to John)
---- ?__? Stewart…
-------- William Stewart (grandson, possibly the brother of Christian)
-------- Elizabeth Stewart (sister of William)
---- ?__? Stewart m. William Stewart of Ambrismore (John’s son-in-law)

John Stewart of Ascog (d. 1636) m. Giles/Jealls Kelsoe (2nd wife??)
---- John Stewart (probably under 21, but old enough to be given a horse in 1636).
---- Robert Stewart
---- Helen Stewart
---- Jeane Stewart

I’m assuming for now that James Stewart of Ardinho was a son-in-law rather than a son.  Some of the grandchildren were probably children of James Stewart of Ardinho of William Stewart of Ambrismore.

According to “Bute in Olden Times”, John Stewart married Geills Kelso in 1605.  That’s too late for them to have adult grandchildren in 1636.  But it is possible a couple of the children I’ve assigned to the 1st wife were of the 2nd marriage.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 October 23 17:25 BST (UK) »
Ninian Stewart of Largizeane was a witness to the will of John Stewart of Ascog.  Here's Ninian's will from 1663. 

I had thought this was just one page, but I see now it continues into a second page, but I doubt if I'll have time to attempt it today.

Page 1 of 2.

The testament and l[att]re will of umqll Niniane Stewart
of Largyaine …. and given upe be his owne  ……………
vpone the fourteen day of ffebruary the year of god
Jaj vj c saxtie thrie (1663) yearis who deceist within the space of
sex weckis yrafter qrin he mackis Archibald Ninniane
and James Stewarts his La’ll sones his ex’rs.

Inventar of my goods and umq’ll Cathrein Stewart
my spouse ?lleis ar yit wndevydit.

?in premmus two ?ydie bryne pryce pere xx merkis Inde xxvj lib
… s iiij d.  Item two yeir old swyne pryce piece iij lib inde vi lib. Item
ane two year old cow pryce yrof viij lib.  Item ane old h………
xij lib.  Item seavin ……… worth x lib x s.  Item the covrein (covered?) borne
& borne yard estimat to ffyve bolls whyt corne wit ten bolls
black corne pryce boll overheid iiij lib inde iij xx lib.  Item uy[the?]r
five bolls black corne pryce forsaid is xx lib.  Item the beir
estimat to sex bolls pryce boll v lib inde xxx lib.  Item the outi’cells
& domicells of the hous estimate to be worth xiij lib vi s viij d.

Summa inventor forsaid jaj iiij xx vj lib x s (£1426 10s).
… debtis awand in

Debtis awand out.
Item awand to Archibald stewart my sone betwixt him and his wyf
thrie hundreth merkis y’rof he his recavit in penneyeers (??) … year
ane hundreth and ffouttie merks money.  Item awand to Ninian
Stewart my sone … sevine to his band twa hundreth merks
money with ffourtie punds money for uy[the?]r accommpts.  Item awand
to James Stewart my sone threttie punds money.  Item awand
……………………………… iij bolls and …… victwall pryce
boll …………. to the sew viij c xxvj lib (£826).  Item to Johne Lyme (?) of
… ffourtie shillings (?) money.  Item to Marie mcbrarthie of p?ie
ffyve merks money.  Item to Johne Bell… your of ……… hand
……… nyne merks money.  Item to Jonat hynman of … ffyve
merkis money.

Summa debtis awand out iij c l lib & iij S iiij d (£350 3s 4d).
……….. debita …………… bona

Legacies.
Item I leave all my goods and geir frie fra debt to archibald,
niniane and james Stewartis my law’ll sones and mackis and
……tis them my law’ll exe’rs and ……… my goods and geir and
nominatit and appointis niniane Stewart of askoge and Johne
Stewart in galihan (?) to be ovirserars to my saids bairnis & exe’rs.  Item
I leave to Barbara stewart archibald’s dochter my oye ane two year old
……  Item I leave to Jonat stewart my uy[the?]r oye james his dochter
ane uy[the?]r two year old … In witness q’rof writtine be Johne
mcgilcrst …… I have subs… samyn day year and place ……
befour thrie witness the sd Niniane Stewart of askoge, Williame (??)
Stewart in Tycrllawe (??) Robert Stewart sone to David Stewart and
Johne …… …… to the sd Niniane Stewart of asbroge.  …
…… … … … … Frannes (??) mcgilcrist …… … … … … ……
……… …… demand … …… ninian Stewart deschargis …… ……
…… ……… testan indis signe … subscriptione.
…………………

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 05 October 23 18:37 BST (UK) »
Re your summary, John's son Ninian is the only executor. His wife and William Stewart are tutors to his younger children.

Stewart of Kilchattan, according to the list of debts awin in, owed John Stewart £1,333 6/8d. That is exactly equivalent to 2,000 merks, a merk being 13/4d. That tallies with the legacies where he gives two of his children 1,000 merks each from Kilchattan's debt.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 05 October 23 23:19 BST (UK) »
Ninian Stewart's testament:

The testament and L[att]rewill of vmq[uhi]le Niniane stewart
of Largyaine maid and gevin upe be (= by) his oune mouth y[ai]r (= there)
vpone the fourtein day of ffebrwarij the year of god
Jaj vj c saxtie thrie (1663) yearis who deceist within the space of
sex (= six) weiks y[ai]rafter (= thereafter) q[uhai]rin (= wherein) he mackis (= makes) archibald
                                                                                                                                   Niniane
and James stewarts his law[fu]ll sons his exe[cuto]rs

Inventar of my goods and vmq[uhi]le Cathrein stewart
my spous q[uhi]lkis (= which) ar (= are) yit (= yet) wndevydit (= undivided)
Imprimus ( a misspelling of the Latin Imprimis = in the first place/firstly) two tydie (= in calf and
                     producing milk) kyne (= cows) pryce peice xx merkis Inde (Latin for "hence") xxvj lb.
xiij s iiij d Item two yeir old kyne (= cows) pryce peice iij lb. Inde vj lb. Item
ane two yeir old cow pryce y[ai]rof (= thereof) viij lb. Item ane old hors worth
xij lb. Item seavin (= seven) sheip worth x lib. x s Item the corne in the borne (= barn)
& corne yaird (= corn-yard) estimat to ffyve bolls whyt corne (white corn = wheat) with ten bolls
black corne (= pease or beans) pryce boll overheid iiij lb. Inde xx lb. Item vy[e]r (= uther  = other)
fyve bolls black corne pryce foirsaid is xx lb Item the beir
estimat to sex bolls pryce boll v lb Inde xxx lb. Item outi[n]cells (= utensils)
& domicells (= furnishings) of the hous estimat to be worth xiij lb. vj s viij d
      Sum[m]a inventar foirsaid J c iiijxx (= 100 + [4 X 20]) vj lb. x s ( this is a mistake,
                                                      it actually comes to J c ijxx vj lb. x s = £146 10/-)
Na (= no) debtis awand (= owing) in
debtis awand out
Item awand to archibald stewart my sone betwixt him and his wyfe
thrie hundreth merkis q[uhai]rof (= whereof) he has recavit (= received) in penneiworth (= in kind)
                                                                                                                                   this yeir ane hundreth and ffourtie  merkis money Item awand to Ninian
stewart my sone [con]forme to his band (= bond) Twa hundreth merkis
money with ffourtie punds (= pounds) money for vy[e]r (= other) accompts (= accounts) Item
                                                                                                                                    awand
to James stewart my sone threttie (= thirty) punds money Item awand
of tynd (= teind = tithe) crope 1662 yeirs iij bolls and firlett (= firlot) victwall (= victual = grain paid
                                                                                                               as tithe or rent) pryce
boll [con]forme to the feir (= fiar = the fixed price of grain) viij lb. [Inde (has been missed out)] 
                                                                                                     xxv lb Item to Johne syme of
money fie (= fee/wages) ffourtie shillings money Item to Marie n*c[  ]arthie of
                                                                         prie (this must be a mistake for fie = fee/wages)
ffyve merkis money Item to Johne Kelburne you[nge]r of ane on hand
coumpt (= account) nyne merkis money Item to Jonat hynman of fie ffyve
merkis money
           Sum[m]a debtis awand out iij c L lb. xiij s iiij d
           Et sic debita excedent bona (Latin -excedent should be excedunt - for "And thus the debts
                                                                                                                   exceed the goods")

* the name starts nc, which is the correct female form (nic-) in Gaelic of a surname starting in mac-.

The legacy will have to be posted separately because of the length.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 06 October 23 01:13 BST (UK) »
Legacie
Item I leave all my goods and geir frie fra (= free from) debt to archibald
Niniane and James stewartis my Law[fu]ll sones and mackis (= makes) and
[con]stitutis them my Law[fu]ll exe[cuto]rs and intro[mitto]rs with my goods
Nominatis and appoyntis Niniane stewart of askoge (= Ascog) and Johne
stewart in galichan (= Gallachan) to be ovirseiars (= overseers) to my saids bairnes & exe[cuto]rs
                                                                                                                                        Item
I leave to barbara stewart archibalds dochter my oye (= grandchild) ane two yeir old
quoy (= heifer) Item I leave to Jonat stewart my vy[e]r (= uther = other) oye James his dochter (=
                                                                                                                     James's daughter)
ane vy[e]r (= other) two yeir old quoy In witnes q[uhai]rof (= whereof) writtine be (= by) Johne
mcgilcrist no[ta]r (= notary) I have sub[scrivit] the samyn (=signed the same), day yeir
                                                                                                                    and place foirs[ai]d
Befoir thir (= these) witnesses the s[ai]d niniane stewart of askoge williame
stewart of Ty[         ] Robert stewart sone to david stewart and
Johne fras[e]r s[e]rvitor (= servant) to the s[ai]d Niniane stewart of askoge Sic
subscribitur Ita est Joannes mcgilcrist notarius publicus ad pre-
missa de mandato dicti Niniani stewart de Largizain scrib-
ere nescien[tis] Testan[tibus] meis signo et subscriptione

The final section "Sic ... subscriptione" is in Latin: "Thus signed, that is  John McGilchrist notary public at the premisses by the command of the said Ninian Stewart of Largiezean who does not know how to write: witness my sign and signature." After this the commissary clerk has copied the notary's sign and added "oy[e]r witnes" (= other witnesses).