Author Topic: John Stewart - 1642 Scottish Will  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stewart - 1642 Scottish Will
« Reply #27 on: Friday 06 October 23 14:09 BST (UK) »
Re your summary, John's son Ninian is the only executor. His wife and William Stewart are tutors to his younger children.

Stewart of Kilchattan, according to the list of debts awin in, owed John Stewart £1,333 6/8d. That is exactly equivalent to 2,000 merks, a merk being 13/4d. That tallies with the legacies where he gives two of his children 1,000 merks each from Kilchattan's debt.

I think it says all three were executors and then a few lines later says his wife and William were to be tutors to the children.  On the first page it refers to Ninian Stewart being the executor "acceptour" which I took to mean accepted, as in the other two renounced their entitlement to the role?

I didn't know £1,333 6/8d was 2000 merks, so yes that tallies nicely.  I see Christian Stewart was given 400 merks of the money owed by her brother (not named).  Siblings William and Elizabeth Stewart were given 100 merks each of the same money.  That matches the 600 merks owed by the grandson John Stewart.  I therefore conclude that Christian and John were siblings, and both were children of the late James Stewart of Ardinho.

This fits with the version of the family in Paul's Scots Peerage which says James Stewart of Ardinho was a minor in 1612, but he seems to have been succeeded by his son John Stewart by 1630.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 06 October 23 14:32 BST (UK) »
Aha, well the latin explains why I was able to make out so little of that section!

Does “lattrewill” mean the same thing as “last will”?

Here's my attempt at the second page.  I think this just confirms various rights to the executors and probably doesn't add much.

Ninian Stewart of Largizaine page 2 of 2

……….. David ….. ………………………………………
herof Ratifie approve and confirme his th?? testame[nt] [testa]
mentar … will and inventor in swa far as the samyn is …
…… trowlie maid and given upe … … … … … … …
sett within the instavaill of the saymyn y’rine ……. as … … …
the saids Archibald niniane and james stewartis … … exe’rs … …
……… to yrsaid derest father with ffull power to … … ……. and
intromett …… the goods & geir abovewritten and to …… the
debtis abovecontenit in sua far as the goods and geir abovewritt[en]
will extend to … … … … the deid? will abovesseith and to do …
all & ……… uy[the]r h??gis that to the office of exe’rs to the law
of eal Kingdome … … … to apportion.  Because they have
maid faith as … is and … …… caution that the goods and geir
shall be maid ……. ……… as law will as … … maid yranent
upone the twentie furst (?) day of nove’r 1663 zeirs bearis.  In
witness q’rof th?? …… at …… be me and be donald mcgilcrist
clerk of the said comissariot with…… … … fall with all
Rothesay the twentie sex day of November 1663 zeirs.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 06 October 23 21:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, lattrewill/latterwill means the same as last will.

You haven't posted the original of the second page, but it is the confirmation by the commissary. It possibly contains the name of a cautioner.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 07 October 23 14:51 BST (UK) »
Oops, here's the second page.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 07 October 23 19:29 BST (UK) »
I see Christian Stewart was given 400 merks of the money owed by her brother (not named).  Siblings William and Elizabeth Stewart were given 100 merks each of the same money.  That matches the 600 merks owed by the grandson John Stewart.  I therefore conclude that Christian and John were siblings, and both were children of the late James Stewart of Ardinho.

Your reasoning is spot on. The exact amount owed by the grandson John Stewart was £631 14/8d. This comes to 947 merks and 8/-, so there would be some left after the 600 merks were paid out to John's siblings.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 07 October 23 20:53 BST (UK) »
Second page:

I Major david ramsay com[m]iss[a]r prin[cipa]ll of the Iyles (= Isles) Be (= by) the [tenour]
heirof Ratifie (= ratify) approve and confirme this p[rese]nt testament [testa-]
mentar L[att]re will and inventar In swa far (= insofar) as the samyn (= same) is [faithfullie]
and trewlie (= truly) maid and given upe nothing omittit furth (= forth) y[ai]rof (= thereof/therefrom)
                                                                                                                                            nor
sett within the just availl (= valuation) of the samyn y[ai]rin (= therein) contenit as also [..torn ..]
the saids archibald Niniane and James stewartis my (an error for "the") o[n]ly ex[ecuto]rs testa-
mentars to y[air] (= their) said deceist father with ffull power to y[a]m[e] (= them) to medle (= lay
                                                                                                                          hands on) and
intromett y[ai]rwith (= therewith) the goods & geir abovewrittin and to outred (= clear/settle) the
debtis aboveconteinit In swa far (= insofar) as the goods and geir abovewrittin
will extend to acording to the deids (= dead's/dead man's) will abovespec[ifei]t (= above specified)
                                                                                                                               and to doe
all & sundrie vy[e]r (= other) things that to the office of ece[cut]rie be (= by) the law
of this kingdome is knowne to appertein Becaus they have
maid faith as vse is and h[av]e fund (= found) caution that the goods and geir
shall be maid furthcumand (= forthcoming) as Law will as the act maid y[ai]ranent (= thereanent =
                                                                                                                        concerning that)
upoune the twentie fuirth day of nove[mbe]r 1663 ye(i)rs bearis (= bears) In
witnes q[uhai]rof (= whereof) thir (= these) p[rese]nts ar (= are) subs[crivit) be (= by) me and be
                                                                                            (= by) donald mcgilcrist
clark (= clerk) of the said com[m]issariot with our hands as followis att
Rothesay the twentie sex (= six) day of November 1663 ye(i)rs