Author Topic: John Stewart - 1642 Scottish Will  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stewart - 1642 Scottish Will
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 October 23 14:44 BST (UK) »
Quite possibly, but I am not descended from these Stewarts – certainly not on the male line – so I can’t join in any capacity, as far as I know.  Are the two projects you refer to the “Stewart (royal)” and “Stewart Stuart” DNA projects?

The branch of the family I am most interested in are descended from Archibald Stewart (c1593-16??) of Ballintoy, but his descendants died out in the male line around 1800.  Archibald had a brother called Ninian who had many descendants including, I am sure, several male Stewarts alive today.  But I can’t see any names which I recognise in the list of ancestors of participants in those DNA projects.

Archibald and Ninian Stewart were sons of another Ninian Stewart who came over to Ireland in about 1600.  This Ninian Stewart senior was apparently from the Stewarts of Ascog/Kilchattan in Bute, hence my interest in John Stewart’s will.

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 October 23 15:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, those are the two DNA projects and by a bizarre quirk, i belong to both of them.  My brother's Y DNA (surname Ward, Notts/Derbys border) turns out to indicate that he descends from the male line of Alan Fitzflaad precursor of the royal Stewarts.  You couldn't make it up could you?!  We don't match any of the known lines and have had no matches in over ten years. 

The project admins are very knowledgeable.  I could pose a question re Stewarts of Ballintoy/Ascog/Kilchattan if you think it would be worthwhile?
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 October 23 17:05 BST (UK) »
Interesting!  It sounds like you belong to a very exclusive line.  Yes please on the offer to ask the DNA project(s).

The Stewart Sheriffs of Bute are fairly well documented and are descended John Stewart who was an illegitimate son of Robert II of Scotland.  It looks like the DNA evidence probably supports this because I see Bute crops up a fair few times in the Royal Stewart project’s list of participants.

The Stewart who bought Ascog on the Isle of Bute in the 1590s is supposed to have been a descendant of one of the Sheriffs of Bute.  So far, it is looking like the male line Stewarts of Ascog died out in 1771 with the death of John Stewart-Murray.  I’ve already mentioned that Archibald Stewart of Ballintoy’s line died out in about 1800.  So that leaves only his brother Ninian Stewart whose descendants mostly became farmers in north Antrim (and are therefore difficult to trace to the present day).

Talking of Ward, Archibald Stewart was supposed to have been married to a Miss Ward of Castle Ward in County Down, though I haven’t identified her for definite.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 October 23 21:17 BST (UK) »
You are right with legacies in line 8 of page 1.

The symbol I transcribe as c for hundreds in numbers like iij c lxxvij, is really a symbol rather than a capital or small c. In origin, it must have been a c. You certainly need one there.

The end of page 4, which you have started is:

The testa[men]t and l[att]rewill of Jon stewart of ascok writtine & sub[scri]uit (= subscribed/signed)
be (= by) his awin (= own) hand the xxij d[a]y of Ja[nua]rij 1636 zeirs being whole in
bodie prased be god Comitting his saull (= soul) in the protectioun of the
Almightie god Invent[ar] & debts in & debts awin (= owing/owed) out to Mr Thomas
Crage minister at L[ar]gas (= Largs) vjxxxiij lib. vj s viij d (= 6 X 20 + 13: £133 6/8d)
                                                                                                             Item to henrie Kelsoe
ij c Lxvj lib. xiij s iiij d Item to Jon scott in skelmorlie* ij c merks Item

*Skelmorlie is on the Ayrshire coast between Largs and Wemyss Bay.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.  We're getting to the juicy bit.  Here are the final two pages, including my attempt at page 5.

Page 5 of 6

Item to the Laird of portincrore (??) ij c Lxxiij lib. vj s viij d.  Item to
Janet boyd spouse to Colene sylureone (??) & ..lb…. ij c Lxxx me[r]ks
Item to the Laird of bishoptoun (??) iij c lib.  Item to mr James
hamiltoun in clay?ow (?) xi c merks.  Item to s….. hamiltoun his (wyff?)
ij c xl merks.  Item to Jon McKouene (?) …. in glasgowe…. ij c merks.
Item to mr Patack stewart …… … …….. v c merks.  Item to
Johne Krand (??) K?he??ne bith?e j c merks.  Item to niniane spence
of wester (?) K…… ij c merks.  Item to Duncane Samond fiare of
K….kald ij c merks.  Item to D….ld (?) …… of Calhilie ij c me[r]ks.
Item to wadsup (?) ….fyftie merks.  Item to Donald K?yarm?holl (?)
fyftie merks.   Item to hew (?) boyd son in law to the defunct ……….
of his ?rhe?and ja? merks.  Item to ….rd Ruihie (??) xl merks.  Item to
the capitone of de….e v c merks.  Item to Ro?? B…. in A….t
tuies ba…..e xl merjs.  Item to Jon hugone (??) xx lib.  Item to ……
stewart of bute j c merks.  Item to Jon stewart ?a… of …….
j c merks.  Item to …..toun ………….. ij c xl lib.  Item to ?.....
stewart in …. …. Lxxx Lib.  Item to Rot ….rhry st…. lxvij lib.
Item to jon ..cow younger xl lib.  Item to Rot F?res in C….ry …
in ….. to Rot huntar Lxxxvj lib xiij s iiij d.  Item to Jon mc……
in Koutatsone (??) xl merks.  Item to Rot…………… .. in … …..
xx lib.  Item to mathew (?) stewart in …. xx lib.  Item to Barbara Semple
Lady Lamond …. to …band ij c merks.  Item to mr hew bisbine (?)
… … ij c merks.  Item to Klyd (??) ……… & …. B……. v c merks
Legatie.  Item I leave to helene (??) stewart my dchtr jaj [1000] merks of the
money… abowewrittine awin to me by niniane stewart of Kilkattin …
I leave to Jeane (??) Stewart my youngest dchtr ……………………
merks of the s…… money … awin to me by niniane stewart of Kilkattin.
Item I leave to Cristione (??) stewart ..bchd to v..yk James
Stewart of ardinho ….. ij c merks to be payit to him aft the
money…. abowewrittine awin to me be his brother.  Item I ….
and …….. to ma stewart myoy (??) j c merks of the ….d money and
to …. Stewart his sister ……………….thr j c merks ….. Item I ordine
and …….. to be  …s……ce to the poore xx merks the tyme of my
burial.  Item I ordine xl s to be frgevin to my tennents of ….
boll that Restis in ………. to …. …. … …………the …………….
crop 1635 …….. ord…..e xx s to be frgevin to ……….…tis
awin me of the Lady… ……. … to the …. 1635 zeire.  Item I
leave Jeuws Klyde (??) my spo…r all my sheip and se…d ………
I leave to Jon Stewart my sone ……. young yellowe maire.  Item
I leave all the rest of my & …..& ........iri frie frome debt and
legatie to be equallie devydit & ………. betwixt Rot Johne
Helene and Jeane stewart my …….. except twentie aucht bolls

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 12:40 BST (UK) »
Page 6 of 6

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 17:07 BST (UK) »
Corrections/notes to page 5:

line 1 - the Laird of portincros (= Portencross, near West Kilbride in Ayrshire)
2 - Jonet boyd spous to Colen (= Colin) [      ] & y[ai]r (= their) bairnes (= bairns/children)
3 - bishoptoun is correct (= Bishopton)
4 - in glasgow ..... James Hamiltoun his wyff (= James Hamilton's wife)
5 - Jon mcKevene (= McKeon) Litster (= a dyer)
6 - Patrick stewart for wa[lter?] flemyng (= Fleming)
7 - Johne Ker and Katherine vitha[r]e (= Catherine Wither)
8 - Duncane Lamond
9 - Knockdall (= Knockdale) ............. Donald mcneill
10 - Item to wa[lter?] sympsone .... Donald Kyarmichell (= Carmichael)
11 - hew (= Hugh) boyd sone in Law ...... restand (= remaining/outstanding)
12 - of his tocher guid (= of his dowry goods) jm (= 1,000: jm = im - Jaj is a form of this) merks ...
to mar[garet] Richie (= Ritchie)
13 - the capitane .... R[ober]t
14 - bairnes xl merks ..... Jon hugone (= Hughan)
15 -  Jon stewart feare (= fiar) of [   ]stine
16 - Item to [Christian name omitted] herbestoun me[rchan]d (= merchant) in glasgow ... Item to James
17 - stewart in glasgow ...... to R[ober]t mcgilchrist me[rchan]d
18 - to Jon nicoll younger ........ to R[ober]t Smyth in Cmry? (= Cumbrae?) sone
19 - in Law to R[ober]t huntar ...... Jon mcco[    ]
20 - to R[ober]t herair tailzeor (= tailor) in glasgowe
21 - mattew stewart in E[dinbu]r[gh]
22 - [con]forme to ane band (= in conformance with a bond) (note the abbreviation for 'con-') ... hew brisbane
23 - in e[dinbu]r[gh] ..... to El[iza]byt[h] michell (= Mitchell) and hir  (= her) bairnes
24 - Legacy .... helene ... dochter
25 - moneys ..... awin to me be (= by) .... Kilcattin Ite[m]
26 - Jeane .... dochter ane vther (= other) thowsand
27 - of the samy[n] (= same) moneys ... awin to me be (= by)
28 - Cristiane .... docht[er] to umq[uhi]le James
29 - my oy (= my grandchild) ... payit to hir (= her) aff (= off)
30 - be (= by) hir (= her) brother ..... Item I [l]eave (clerk has missed out the l from leave as it is so like the I he has just written)
31 - and assig[n]e to wa[lter?] stewart my oy ... of the samy[n] (= same) money and
32 - El[iza]byt[h] his sister ane vther (= other) j c merks y[ai]rof (= thereof) ... ordane
33 - and leaves to be distribute (= distributed) to the poore
34 - buriall .... I ordane ... to be forgevin ... of evrie (= every)
35 - that Restis (= that remains) in y[ai]r (= their) hands to [        ] nixt (= next) less nor (= less than) the fiar (= fixed price of grain for a year) of ye
36 - and ordanes xx s to be forgevin to ilk (= each) and that is
37 - awin me of the Lady's victuals (victual = grain paid as part of your rent) to the fiare 1635 zeires
38 - leave Jealls Kelsoe (= Kelso) my spous all my sheip and second best horse Ite[m]
39 - ane zoung zellowe meire (= a young yellow = light brown mare)
40 - all the rest of my guids & geir frie (= free) frome debt and
41 - legacy ... & distribut .... R[ober]t
42 - stewarts my bairnes

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 22:11 BST (UK) »
Last page:

bolls corne (= oats) & fowr bolls bere of stok in Largivrachtane (= Largievrechtan in Kingarth) q[uhi]lk
                                                                                                                         (= which) I leave
to my s[ai]d spous and stok vpone the s[ai]ds Lands during hir (= her) Lyftyme
Item I mak & [con]stitute my s[ai]d spous, w[illi]a[m] stewart fear (= fiar) of ambresmoir (=
                                                                                                               Ambrismore in Kingarth)
my sone in Law & niniane stewart my eldest Law[fu]ll sone and
appeirand aire (= heir apparent) my exe[cuto]rs [con]junctlie (= conjointly) & severallie (=
                                                                                           severally/individually) with power to
thame (= them) to Intromett (= intromit) w(i)t(h) my haill (= whole) guids & geir & debts abowe (=
                                                                                                                                       above)
writtine awin to me & to call and p[er]sew (= call to court and sue) y[ai]rfoir (= therefor) and
to pay my debts & legacies abowewrittine and als (= also) maks (makes) and
[con]stitut[e]s the s[ai]d w[illi]a[m] stewart & my s[ai]d spous Tutors and administrators
to the s[ai]d R[ober]t Jon helene & Jeane stewarts my bairnes & o[ve]rsie (= overse)
that y[ai]r (= their) guids & geir be putt to vtilitie (= utility/useful purpose) and profet In witnes
q[uhai]rof (= whereof) this my testa[men]t writtin in the In[venta]r debts awin In & debts awin out
w(i)t(h) my awin (= own) hand and ane pairt (= one part) y[ai]rof (= thereof) be (= by) niniane
                                                                                                                stewart my sone and
this my legacie foirs[ai]d (= foresaid) be (= by) Jon mcgilchryst nottar publict (= notary
                                                                         public) I have sub[scri]uit (= subscribed/signed)
the samy[n] (= the same) as followes At ascok (= Ascog) the xxiiij d[a]y of Ja[nua]rij 1636 zeirs
                                                                                                                      befoir (= before)
thir (= these) witnesses niniane stewart of Largiezeane (= Largizean in Kingarth) donald
                                                                                                              mcgilchryst
baillie of Rothesay and the s[ai]d Jon mcgilchryst nottar wry[ter] heirof sic (Latin for
                                                                                                                                    'thus')
sub[scribitu]r (Latin for 'signed') Johne stewart of ascok (= Ascog) donald mcgilchryst
                                                                                                   witnes Jo[n] mcgil-
chryst witnes

S(i)r Jerome Lindsay &c. Ratifeis (= ratifies) &c. and geves (= gives) &c. Reservand (= reserving)
compt (= account) &c. Q[uhai]rvpone (= whereupon) niniane stewart of Kilcattene elder
become cautioune as ane act beirs (= as an act bears)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for correcting and finishing that off.  I was struggling!  I’d like to pick your brains on a few queries if I may…

The inventory was given up by Ninian Stewart the lawful son of John.  Probate appears to have been granted to Ninian Stewart senior of Kilchattan.  Is it possible to say for certain whether these are two people, or one and the same?

… Then there’s also Ninian Stewart of Largizean.

On the 14th line of the 5th page do you know what the final name might be?  Somebody Stewart of Bute.

I’m a bit confused by the reference to “to hew boyd sone in law to the defunct”.  I doubt if John Stewart would refer to himself as the defunct in his own will, so who does it refer to in this case?

The first mention of the money owed by Ninian Stewart of Kilchatten in the will says “abovewritten” as if it is referring to the inventory.  I’m used to inventories being done after the testator’s death, or would this have been already prepared when John Stewart wrote his will?  I see at the end it does refer to the will (and inventory?) partly written in his own hand and partly in the hand of his son Ninian.

John Stewart refers to his granddaughter Cristiane Stewart, daughter of the late James Stewart of Ardinho.  She gets some money out of the sum owed by “her brother”.  Can I assume this refers to Ninian Stewart of Kilchattan, and therefore he was also John Stewart’s grandson?

It seems to me that John Stewart had some adult children and some who were still underage, which possibly suggests two marriages.