Author Topic: Ovrbeth, Wales  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ovrbeth, Wales
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 September 23 10:28 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Beata Hundeshagen  to Philipp Gunter listed on Ancestry but no dates given. Source  - Evangelische Kirche Sankt Kilian (Raasen) and Sachsen given as District

I  think it seems to be a mixture of various German entries cobbled together to make them Welsh!!

Gadget

Add
Raasen

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cZu3Dx3ox9YaNhEG9

I assume Sachsen is Saxony but not found any place that looks like Ovrbeth so far with nearest as Erfort just to the North of Nuremberg
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 September 23 10:59 BST (UK) »
I'm having to leave now! 
Maybe someone can look through the various archives at the National Library to see if any will or mentions to Philip are listed.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 September 23 14:56 BST (UK) »
Just found this

RB Erfurt - The Regierungsbezirk for Raasen is Erfurt. The Regierungsbezirk is a government district that is in hierarchy between the State and Kreis level.

https://www.meyersgaz.org/place/20533005

Add
Also, for anyone who can translate:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raasen_(Neuenmarkt)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 September 23 15:52 BST (UK) »
Ancestry hints did bring up German Gunters, which, in light of the journal article below, would be totally unrelated as far as I could make out.There are numerous pedigrees and articles relating to the Gunter families of Tregunter dating from 1600's and the article below describes the origin of the name as being French.  It also describes the coat of arms, which match the one attached to the people in the original query, in various Ancestry trees, all of which have sourced the info of Ovrbeth from other un-sourced trees. 

https://journals.library.wales/view/1226390/1226582/3#?cv=3&m=5&h=gunter%2BOR%2Bfrench&xywh=-352%2C472%2C2686%2C1723

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 September 23 15:58 BST (UK) »
Found a word that could be a candidate : Overath
Overath is a medium-sized town in the Rheinisch-Bergisches Kreis in the south of North Rhine-Westphalia. The town was founded in 1060…

(translation by Google of  https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=overbeth&title=Spezial:Suche&profile=advanced&fulltext=1&ns0=1

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 September 23 16:09 BST (UK) »
I found a considerable number of outsourced trees - see my Reply #5  which  led me to the German Gunters, etc. No connection to Wales at all.

Did you follow all my posts and links , Sam?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 September 23 16:22 BST (UK) »
Narberth is known as Arberth in Welsh.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 September 23 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

No I haven't looked at them all. I looked extensively last night, but wanted the original source to see how the trees interpreted whatever they saw. I did see the German individuals and did wonder then if there's been a mix up of Germans and Welsh families. Most of the online info re the Gunters relate to those who were around during Charles 1 reign in the Abergavenny area, and I couldn't obviously find the connecting individuals from 1400. I'm not experienced in searching for info on people that far back, because I can't get my families back before mid 1700, so do wonder sometimes how people have managed to go back to pre 1400, apart from those who are named in written pedgrees (for important people) and documents written close to the time of emigration on the Mayflower or whatever.

Will have a look at your posts, mow that I have had notification of the replies tha I hadn't seen earlier.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 September 23 16:28 BST (UK) »
The couple referred to by Bronwen were German, Shaun. Nothing to do with Wales. The trees were unsourced and cobbled together from random bits and pieces.