Author Topic: Merchant Navy CR 10 help  (Read 785 times)

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy CR 10 help
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 16:37 BST (UK) »
Probably misread my reply, as I did put 1933, although online it says the ship sailed in June 1933, which is a month earlier than the July 1933 when he signed up.
Buntikins. I now have Michael Brown b.about 1865 and his wife Mary b. about 1873 who were the parents of Patrick Brown who was your grandfather. Siblings Julia Brown 1899, Martin 1902 and Michael 1909. Patrick as you state married Elizabeth Chalmers in 1920 who sadly died in 1930. I have found four children born to the marriage, your mother and three brothers, all younger than her. I have not included their Christian names just in case any our still living, although they would all be over 100 by now, but still possible of course. Were all the children fostered?
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 17:28 BST (UK) »
Has it occurred to you that your mother Mary was told her father died so she would stop asking about him. She was 8 at the time her mother died.

There are 7 burials at Ford Cemetery 1931 1942 all for Patrick Brown and so far I've not been able to find any on the FreeBMD index using Liverpool as a base.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
As a side note Elizabeth Brown nee Chambers died at the Maternity Hospital, buried Ford Cemetery

24 January 1930.

A note above the the maternity hospital has 62 Butoch? Street, so is this her home address?   

ADDED
Richard Brown age 8 months buried 9 February 1927 Ford Cemetery of 62 Bortoch Street.

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 17:49 BST (UK) »

A note above the the maternity hospital has 62 Butoch? Street, so is this her home address?   

That kind of matches the address on his WW1 medal file which is 62 Bostock Street.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 18:00 BST (UK) »
Son Patrick 1924 was buried Ford Cemetery 24 February 1927 age 2 it was a Thursday address 62 Bostock (sp) Street.

Two sons dying in the same month see addition to previous reply for Richard

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 19:19 BST (UK) »
According to the 1900 AtoZ for Liverpool there were two Bostock streets, one in Liverpool running west to east  between Scotland Road and Great Homer Street, and the other in Bootle. The Bootle street does not look long enough to have had 62 dwellings. There were no listings for either Bortoch or Butoch street.
The Bootle Bostock Street does not appear in the 1901 or subsequent censuses. The Liverpool Bostock Street was still there until the early 2000's but a retail park now stands where it used to be. There is McDonalds roughly where No 62 once was.
In the 1911 census the occupants of 62 Bostock Street were the Walters family along with a lodger named Margaret Hughes. The house contained 6 rooms. A different family were at that address in 1921 (first names: Robert, Charlotte, Robert +4 others). In September 1939 the 7 members of the Wade family were occupying 62 Bostock Street. St Anthony's RC church stands less than 100 yards from where Bostock street was. As the family members who died in the 1920s were buried in Ford Cemetery, it may be that the Browns attended St Anthony's.

Offline Buntikins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 October 23 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hello all.

Just an update on my search. It seems that the death certificate obtained for my grandfather some years ago, is his after all.

I worked through the electoral rolls where he was listed at 62 Bostock St up until 1934. His brother Martin is listed at the same address.

Both are absent for that address in the 1935-1936 election and a Martin Brown is listed at an address in William Henry St that year. Patrick (my grandfather’s) death certificate is March 1935 and the same address is given, so it must be him.

I’m still baffled by his second marriage, though. The death cert was registered by his wife. The only marriage I have found recorded is one to a Christina Honan, in which Patrick is down as a bachelor with the wrong father’s name. This is what led me to believe that the death cert was not my family’s.
My grandfather’s spouse appears to have the initial A, but I can’t locate the record.

For those interested in the deaths of both of his babies in the same month - Feb 1924 - his 24 year old sister Julia, died the same month. Three funerals, in the same cemetery - one a week for 3 weeks. 🥲
Wife dies a childbirth a few years later, and then death in your 3Os a few years after that.
What harsh times our poorer ancestors suffered.

Thank you all so much for the help given - it is so much appreciated.