Author Topic: Tracing who lived at a house/farm  (Read 891 times)

Offline Nichy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing who lived at a house/farm
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 September 23 08:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of your help and information. I have found in the Records of Invercauld in 1765 it says “in exchange for the Island of Balnoe presently possessed by John Gray your Lordship’s tenant in Balno”. I am not sure how he is related to Helen Gray’s father John Gray-maybe it is his father or uncle? I also have the baptism record of Helen Gray at Balno in 1811 so am not sure how they tie in with the Davidsons being the tenants there for so long. I wonder if the tenants ever rented out the farms to other people or was it just the landowners that did that? Thank you again

Offline Nichy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 September 23 08:47 BST (UK) »
Helen Gray

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 September 23 09:30 BST (UK) »
I doubt that the tenants of a single farm would sublet - in fact their lease might well forbid them doing so.

However most farms would have cottages for their workers as well as the farm house itself, so you could have two or more families living there.

I notice that that baptism record doesn't say that John Gray and Christian Farquharson were 'in' or 'at' Balno.

Usually if it says 'John Smith in xyz' it means that John Smith was the tenant of xyz, but if it says 'John Smith at xyz' he is often a less permanent occupant, such as a labourer, ploughman, shepherd etc. (John Smith of xyz is the owner or a member of the owner's family.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Nichy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 September 23 09:56 BST (UK) »
The next child that they had in 1813 says “John Gray in Balno and his wife Christian Farquharson had a son baptised named James”. The son John born in 1801 just says “John Gray and Christian Farquharson Balno” like Helen’s one so not sure if he was the tenant or just a labourer there?

Offline Nichy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 September 23 09:58 BST (UK) »
James Gray 1813

Offline Nichy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 September 23 10:03 BST (UK) »
This is from the records of Invercauld in 1765-maybe my John Gray’s father or Uncle?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 September 23 22:45 BST (UK) »
However most farms would have cottages for their workers as well as the farm house itself, so you could have two or more families living there.
This seems to be the most obvious explaination.
If you look at the 1841 census there are 2 different families and 2 dwellings recorded at Balno

Davidson family
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a13fe01f4040b9d6ee18ca8/anne-ritchie-1841-aberdeenshire-glenmuick-tullich-1832-?locale=en\

Reid family
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a13fe01f4040b9d6ee18ca8?dwel=5a13fdf6f4040b9d6ee17f79&locale=en&page_number=0

Do you know when your John Gray died? That might give you an idea when the family moved away from the farm, and it might explain why the family was not there in 1841.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Nichy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 October 23 07:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information-yes it looks like there are more than one family able to live there. I can’t find any dates or anything to do with John Gray or Christian Farquharson’s deaths-I’m finding that really tricky.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 October 23 21:57 BST (UK) »

On the marriage record for John Gray and Christian Farquharson, does it give any information about where he was living? Does it mention Balno?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)