Author Topic: Cdv  (Read 372 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cdv
« on: Friday 29 September 23 04:05 BST (UK) »
Can anyone offer some advice on what Cdv 6-36 Banks in Chancery would mean?

The context is that a Joseph Banks of Richmond [Victoria] wrote a reply in response to a letter dated 26 Jan 1893 in which he was informed that that there was a sum of £6,000 and referenced as Cdv 6-36 Banks, in Chancery and waiting to be claimed.

He confirmed that his grandfather James [Henry James] Banks had a brother John Banks who had left for the colonies many years ago. My research shows that his brother John Banks was a shoemaker in Surrey and he left under 600 pounds in 1868. He had a large family in London, so I doubt that it was him.

Henry James Banks may have had a son in Rotherhithe in 1808 named John Banks [thus Joseph's uncle] and it may have been him that left for the colonies and made a fortune, then returned to London.

Joseph Banks and family in Australia (1890s) and his cousins in Cordova Street, Bethnal Green  were entitled to a good sum of money & property some of which Joseph Banks believed was situated in Covent Gardens, London. 

Joseph Banks went on to say that he had an uncle by the name of H. Harris and that his father [James Banks] left valuable papers concerning his uncle’s fortune. Joseph Banks was born in Bermondsey 1856 and his father James Banks and grandfather Henry Banks both did live with Harris family members [census details] before James Banks emigrated to Hobart in 1859. The Harris family were related to Ann Brown, the wife of James Banks, a currier, of Bermondsey.

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cdv
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 September 23 04:16 BST (UK) »
Purely guessing

Cdv  Chancery Division

6-36 file number

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 September 23 04:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you
Can I access Chancery references from National Archives?
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 September 23 04:37 BST (UK) »
More interested is in identifying the unknown John Banks; the rest of the family I may have sourced a considerable amount back to a small farmer in Dagnam [Dagenham], Essex] in 1700's.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 September 23 06:27 BST (UK) »
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 September 23 06:46 BST (UK) »
What .... are you saying that they had scams back in those days as well!!!!!

There is another angle that I am following.

There was a John Bankes (1652-1718), who was a haberdasher with property in Westminster, Clerkenwell and Essex and who established a Charitable Trust in his Will of 1716. But as I am no longer on ancestry.com  I have as yet not accessed details of that Will to determine if this lead is genuine or not.

My earliest confirmed Banks ancestor is a James Banks who married Jane Atteridge 3 Apr 1743 London Fleet marriages and their chn were baptised in Dagenham, Essex thereafter. I can confirm that three of his sons were curriers.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 September 23 07:17 BST (UK) »
What .... are you saying that they had scams back in those days as well!!!!!
Yes, indeed. Scams are not a modern invention.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/71216143
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 September 23 07:20 BST (UK) »
There was a John Bankes (1652-1718), who was a haberdasher with property in Westminster, Clerkenwell and Essex and who established a Charitable Trust in his Will of 1716. But as I am no longer on ancestry.com  I have as yet not accessed details of that Will to determine if this lead is genuine or not.
The will can be downloaded for free once you are signed in.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D628185

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 September 23 08:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link.

6 pages in his Will .... a very wealthy man and many properties.