Author Topic: William Kelley of Armagh or Tyrone  (Read 201 times)

Offline ToddK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Kelley of Armagh or Tyrone
« on: Friday 29 September 23 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've hit a stone wall in Canada. My 2nd great grandparents William Kelley and Elizabeth Kelly (Reid). Both were both born in 1806 and are from Armagh/Tyrone. They had a son James in 1831 and traveled to Tamworth/Camden Ontario in 1833. I have a lot of info in Canada about their descendants but nothing prior to William and Elizabeth in Ireland. I come from long line of potato growers and I'm trying to trace it back to Ireland.

Anyone with links to William and Elizabeth or tips to research appreciated.

Todd

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: William Kelley of Armagh or Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 23 12:41 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 September 23 16:58 BST (UK) »
The 1851 Canadian census (actually taken in early 1852, ages given are as of next birthday) has the family in Sheffield township, Addington County, indicating that the family is Church of England. Unfortunately, few C of E records exist from the time period when William would have been born.

Offline ToddK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 October 23 06:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eileen,

My Grandfather and Great Grandfather were Orangeman in Ontario and my 2nd Great Grandfather William of Armagh was thought to be an Orangeman in Armagh. Happen to know if I can track Orangeman records during the early 1800s in Armagh?

Thanks,
Todd

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 October 23 11:26 BST (UK) »
I knew which lodge ours belonged to in Armagh and contacted them directly. They did not have records that dated back that far. You would likely need to narrow down where your William was from.