Author Topic: James Graham - married at Galashiels  (Read 818 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James Graham - married at Galashiels
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 September 23 15:43 BST (UK) »
There's a death of James Graham, aged 21, at Morpeth in the March quarter of 1922.

Being an English certificate, it won't name his parents or his wife like a Scottish one does, but it might contain some other clue.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 September 23 15:55 BST (UK) »
James enlisted with the Royal Army Service Corps for WW1 in Galashiels in 1916 (aged 17 yrs and 4 months).

He was discharged on 31 March 1920...but re-enlisted with the King's Own Scottish Borderers on 25 October 1920.

His service records are extensive, however, I cannot see any notes on what happened after he re-enlisted.

I am thinking he may not have died in Scotland as there doesn't seem to be record for his death on SP  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 October 23 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your replies, I`ve a lot to think about!!

As far as I know there were no children from this marriage, but as there are 11 births in the 1920-1927 window, I`m not sure if I am going to go down that route!!

My mother used to say that "auntie" Mary was an only child, with no children, but I have discovered that Mary Scott had 2 half siblings.

The 1901 census may show the rgiht family; on the marriage cert one of the witnesses is a Mary Graham.

Thanks again.