Author Topic: Who is this?  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who is this?
« on: Saturday 30 September 23 16:39 BST (UK) »
This is a Lafayette photo in a folder from the late 19th century or early 1900s (possible serial No. 44787) of a mature, distinguished-looking gentleman, but I have no idea who he is.
I have already contacted Lafayette's with the images, and they tell me their early archives have been sent to the V&A. I have done a brief search on the V&A website, but without a date or a name it is a bit difficult. I have sent the images to them and am waiting to see if they can help.
The photograph came into my possession as part of a large collection of old photos and postcards belonging to my grandmother, who lived in Buxton, Derbyshire during the early 1900s.
Yours sincerely,
Ann Dubaic

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Who is this?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 23 09:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Nabean :)

Sorry, I can't help with your enquiry but my moving it up the board might bring it to the attention of someone who can. It had just about dropped out of sight.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 October 23 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. Interestingly, I have just had a reply today from the V&A, so maybe it will be possible to identify the person in the photo.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 October 23 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat Nabean, I did a Google Image search and came up empty  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 05:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you! Yes, I've already done that, with the same result - obviously, A.I. isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 11:41 BST (UK) »
I just tried a reverse image search on Bing. Lots of men who looked similar, but no exact matches to this photo.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 October 23 13:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, I did, too! It's infuriating - let's hope the V&A have something in their records.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 October 23 22:58 BST (UK) »
A google image search for Lafayette's photo mezzo tint threw up an image of a matching folder cover held in a museum down under. The related photo is dated as 'after 1907', the cover wasn't available to view (their site has been updated).

Search here for 'unidentified Edwardian woman' to see the photo and its mount.
https://opus.its.unimelb.edu.au/gm/imu.php?request=search

S_L

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 October 23 06:32 BST (UK) »
I have found a matching folder (for sale on ebay.com, for $1,000!), but with a different photo inside. I imagine all the folders produced at that time (late 1800s - early 1900s) will be the same, or similar.
Lafayette's was much-favoured by royalty/the rich and famous.