Author Topic: Who is this?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who is this?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 02 November 23 10:58 GMT (UK) »
The younger Schlich photo appears to show a Roman nose, Nabean's photo does not. Both the old and young Schlich photos show a clean neckline, Nabean's photo seems to show hair at the collar.

Also IF the Lafayette photo folder is circa 1906 then the older Schlich photo is definitely from 1921. Whether there is a 15 year difference between the two portraits is debatable.

S_L

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 02 November 23 11:10 GMT (UK) »
The suggestion of Sir William Schlich has always seemed fairly convincing to me, and if the photo was taken around 1900-ish, his age could fit - he was born in 1840. However, one thing I've been wondering is how your grandmother might have come to have a photo of him. You might not know, of course.

I tried looking in newspapers to see if there was anything about William Schlich visiting Buxton, but didn't spot anything. And if he had visited, would he have gone around handing out photos? (It's not just a carte de visite.)

Did your grandmother have an interest in forestry, or any other reason to view him as a celebrity? Or did she just like visiting fleamarkets etc and picking up interesting old photos? I suppose I'm looking for a plausible reason for her to have a photo of him, which would help to confirm the ID.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 02 November 23 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I think the Lafayette folder came into her possession, along with other items (albums, photographs etc.) on the death of a friend and former employer, Dora Frances Townsend (Whaley Bridge, 1959, according to a newspaper report).
When I was very young, she took me with her to visit the lady, who lived in a big house up Whaley Lane ( I remember it being very steep!). Dora Townsend's cousin was Ernest Townsend, the artist, who helped camouflage the Rolls Royce factory during WWII (there is an article online from the Derby Telegraph, 2018, to that effect).
In fact, one of the albums contains a signed watercolour by 'E Townsend', which I am sure would be of historical interest, and value, to someone.
I find the whole subject of genealogy fascinating and am currently following several other lines of enquiry concerning people my grandmother knew.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 02 November 23 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I think the Lafayette folder came into her possession, along with other items (albums, photographs etc.) on the death of a friend and former employer, Dora Frances Townsend (Whaley Bridge, 1959, according to a newspaper report).

There wouldn't be anything helpful in Dora's will, would there? Proved 4 Feb 1959; the index confirms her address in Whaley Bridge, but says she died in hospital in Stockport, on 6 Jan.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 02 November 23 15:31 GMT (UK) »
My first thought was Robert Baden-Powell, but it would sit a little uneasily with Nabean's suggested dating.

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 02 November 23 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I think both the eyes and the nose are wrong for Baden-Powell.

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 02 November 23 16:11 GMT (UK) »
This is the newspaper article, but I have no idea about her will.

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 02 November 23 16:57 GMT (UK) »
When you say "wrong" for Baden-Powell, what portrait are you comparing with to reach that conclusion?

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 02 November 23 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Any of the images, really, when you google "Baden-Powell" images; the ears are also wrong, as they stick out more.