Author Topic: Who is this?  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who is this?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 October 23 06:11 BST (UK) »
Still no answers from the V&A. Here is an enlarged view of the gentleman in question.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 October 23 09:13 BST (UK) »
Just a thought but looks like Elgar to me.... totally wrong but....

Offline Nabean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 October 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
No, the nose is wrong!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 October 23 10:50 BST (UK) »
I agree with Japeflakes....well spotted. The facial hair is the same and the wrinkles between his eyebrows are the same.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 October 23 10:56 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure it's not Elgar.
Look at the photos here
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/edward-elgar
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 October 23 13:48 BST (UK) »
Elgar did have a rather distinctive nose, when seen from the right angle, but this one seems smaller and possibly a bit turned up. Also, in his later years Elgar appears to have been rather, shall we say... portly.

There's also the question of dating. The original estimate for this photo was around 1900, give or take a bit, but as Elgar was born in 1857, this would be far too old for him. I'd suggest our sitter would probably have been born no later than about 1840.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 October 23 15:12 BST (UK) »
The National Portrait Gallery have a few thousand portraits by Lafayette, they aren't all available as images though.
https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person?sort=dateDesc&LinkID=mp08092&displayNo=60&wPage=0

Incidentally if sorted by 'gallery recommended' then you can safely ignore the first 400 as I've been through those.

S_L

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 October 23 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi japeflakes

Look at the ear. (see link below) Elgar had an unusual slight low angled flat bottom edge about the narrow long thin lob similar to (though harder to see behind his hair) ear of your gentleman in the image you posted.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/english-composer-sir-edward-william-elgar-news-photo/646264948?adppopup=true

Notice his left eye brow (Your Right looking at image) the corner to the nose bridge is a sharp corner in link of Elgar and your gentleman's image
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 October 23 03:44 BST (UK) »
I've flipped the image of the unknown gentleman to better line them up but I think it's pretty clear when they're side by side that most of their respective features don't match.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.