Author Topic: Ancestry DNA matches without a suscription  (Read 445 times)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA matches without a suscription
« on: Saturday 30 September 23 17:43 BST (UK) »
I am in touch with someone who has taken an Ancestry DNA test but doesn't have a subscription to Ancestry. She tells me that she cannot therefore see matches. I cannot see anything on Ancestry that supports that and indeed all their marketing stuff seems to suggest that matches come as standard, even if you have only taken the test.

There is however a let out in small print that says that some services are only available with a subscription, but it doesn't say which. Also I know that it is possible to turn matches off, or perhaps opt not to show them.

I have a subscription so cannot test her understanding. Can any of you tell me whether she is correct?

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA matches without a suscription
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 September 23 17:56 BST (UK) »
My sister doesn't have a sub but she can definitely see her DNA matches
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 September 23 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Familydar. That is certainly what I would expect.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 September 23 20:30 BST (UK) »
Both my husband and I have taken dna tests. My account is a paid subscription but my husband doesn’t have a paid subscription.

If I log into his account I can see the matches but it is limited if you want to to view your matches treesto try and work out your connection, therefore, I manage his tree and view his matches trees from my paid account.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 September 23 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks jc26red. That is what I would expect. You need a paid subscription to follow up matches via their trees and other related records.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 October 23 01:04 BST (UK) »
My Ancestry subscription ended a week ago. I can see all my DNA matches, but cannot view any of their trees.

If I click to view someone’s tree I am taken to the “subscribe” page. Sneaky old Ancestry. I think trees linked to DNA results should be able to be viewed by everyone who has taken one of their DNA tests.

I haven’t checked to see what other DNA related features are excluded if you don’t have a sub.

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 October 23 06:29 BST (UK) »
I have a free account for one of my kits I manage from my paid sub account.
When I log into my free  account ,like the others,  I can see all matches,  I can see all the shared matches and even ethnicity - but  I can't click on their trees and such which requires a sub of course.( I never  really bother with my free account as I manage the dna from my sub account)

Your contact should definitely be able to see all their DNA matches with a  free account.
It sounds as  if  your contact may have made their DNA private /the match visibility turned off ( by mistake  perhaps) ,and it maybe the reason  why they can't  see any of their matches at all (?)

If  the "off" ( see below screenshot from my settings ) is ticked in your contact's settings , I don't  think  they will be able to see any of their  DNA matches  ( and you wont be able to see them of course either)

The on, off  setting can be found under the DNA settings  icon ,  then under the  " Visibility and sharing"  button.
Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 October 23 21:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cell. Yes, I wondered whether that is the case and found the way to switch it back on. I'm waiting for her to let me know whether she can now see matches after I've updated her with all your helpful replies

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 October 23 16:29 BST (UK) »
Viewing matches, their ethnicity, their shared matches messaging matches, the small 5 generation tree preview and thrulines are all possible without a subscription. There is a workaround for non subscribers to view the list of names in trees that have media but how useful it is depends on how much detail the trees actually has.

What a non subscriber can't do is view the full tree though they can be sent an invite.