Author Topic: Please can anyone help with 1551 legal latin?  (Read 478 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please can anyone help with 1551 legal latin?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 October 23 14:38 BST (UK) »
Your two documents are a royal writ of Edward VI commissioning an inquisition and the indented inquisition which resulted from the writ.

The matter to be inquired into concerned the ability of Richard Busby to sufficiently govern his lands, tenements, goods and chattels.

The inquisition was taken on 4 December in the fourth year of Edward VI (4 December 1550) at Westminster.

Because there's a lot of work posted here, I have translated only the answers from the indented inquisition.  It doesn't look like much but has taken most of the day.

The answers are where personal information will be found, if there is any.

Qui dicunt super sacr(u)m suu(m) q(uo)d Ric(ard)us Busbye

in com(m)issione predicta nominat(us) tempore captionis Huius inquisic(ionis) est fateus et Ideota  Ita q(uo)d Regimini sui ip(s)ius terrar(um) tenementor(um)

Bonorum et catallorum suorum non sufficit  Et Jur' predict' super sacr(u)m suu(m) ulterius dicunt q(uo)d pred(i)c(t)us Ric(ard)us Busbye

ulle tempore a nativitate sua usque ad tempus captionis Huius inquisicionis Aliqua terr(as) seu ten(emen)ta alicui persone seu

aliquibus personis non alienavit  Et Jur' predict' super sacr(u)m suu(m) dicunt q(uo)d pred(i)c(t)us Ric(ard)us Busbye tempore

captionis Huius inquisicionis non fuit seisit de aliquibus terris tenemen(tis) aut hereditamen(tis) in possessione Revercione

aut Reman' in Com' Midd  Et q(uo)d quedam Alicia Sheppard uxor' Will(el)mi Sheppard de Lydcott in Com Buck

Husbondman tempore captionis Huius inquisicionis fuit consanguineus et propinquior Heres predicti Ricardi

Busbye et etatis Triginta annorum

Who say upon their oath that Richard Busbye

named in the aforesaid commission at the time of taking this inquisition is a fool and an idiot* Therefore that his Government of those his lands tenements

Goods and chattels is not sufficient  And the Jurors aforesaid upon their oath besides say that the aforesaid Richard Busbye

did not alienate any lands or tenements to any person or any persons at any time from his birth to the time of

taking this inquisition  And the Jurors aforesaid upon their oath say that the aforesaid Richard Busbye at the time of

taking this inquisition was not seized of any lands tenements or hereditaments in possession reversion

or remainder in the County of Middlesex  And that a certain Alice Sheppard the wife of William Sheppard of Lycott in the County of Buckingham

Husbandman at the time of taking this inquisition was kinswoman and next heir of the aforesaid Richard

Busbye and is thirty years of age

* Note that ...est fateus et Ideota... could be taken more mildly as ...is a foolish and an ignorant uneducated man...

Note also that three words fatuus, Idiota and alicui are sometimes spelt fateus Ideota and alicue.  As these misspelled versions don't exist I have corrected them in making the translation.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 October 23 14:46 BST (UK) »
I am really keen to find out anything about Richard or his father John such as what happened to Richard, what his mother's maiden name may have been and whether his father John belonged to a guild.

I'm afraid that the only extra information on John over what you had is that he was deceased at the time of creating the writ on 18 November in 1550.

These processes are all about the land.  Personal information will only appear where it is directly relevant to the ownership or disposal of land.

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 October 23 17:07 BST (UK) »
Your two documents are a royal writ of Edward VI commissioning an inquisition and the indented inquisition which resulted from the writ.

The matter to be inquired into concerned the ability of Richard Busby to sufficiently govern his lands, tenements, goods and chattels.

The inquisition was taken on 4 December in the fourth year of Edward VI (4 December 1550) at Westminster.

Because there's a lot of work posted here, I have translated only the answers from the indented inquisition.  It doesn't look like much but has taken most of the day.

The answers are where personal information will be found, if there is any.

Qui dicunt super sacr(u)m suu(m) q(uo)d Ric(ard)us Busbye

in com(m)issione predicta nominat(us) tempore captionis Huius inquisic(ionis) est fateus et Ideota  Ita q(uo)d Regimini sui ip(s)ius terrar(um) tenementor(um)

Bonorum et catallorum suorum non sufficit  Et Jur' predict' super sacr(u)m suu(m) ulterius dicunt q(uo)d pred(i)c(t)us Ric(ard)us Busbye

ulle tempore a nativitate sua usque ad tempus captionis Huius inquisicionis Aliqua terr(as) seu ten(emen)ta alicui persone seu

aliquibus personis non alienavit  Et Jur' predict' super sacr(u)m suu(m) dicunt q(uo)d pred(i)c(t)us Ric(ard)us Busbye tempore

captionis Huius inquisicionis non fuit seisit de aliquibus terris tenemen(tis) aut hereditamen(tis) in possessione Revercione

aut Reman' in Com' Midd  Et q(uo)d quedam Alicia Sheppard uxor' Will(el)mi Sheppard de Lydcott in Com Buck

Husbondman tempore captionis Huius inquisicionis fuit consanguineus et propinquior Heres predicti Ricardi

Busbye et etatis Triginta annorum

Who say upon their oath that Richard Busbye

named in the aforesaid commission at the time of taking this inquisition is a fool and an idiot* Therefore that his Government of those his lands tenements

Goods and chattels is not sufficient  And the Jurors aforesaid upon their oath besides say that the aforesaid Richard Busbye

did not alienate any lands or tenements to any person or any persons at any time from his birth to the time of

taking this inquisition  And the Jurors aforesaid upon their oath say that the aforesaid Richard Busbye at the time of

taking this inquisition was not seized of any lands tenements or hereditaments in possession reversion

or remainder in the County of Middlesex  And that a certain Alice Sheppard the wife of William Sheppard of Lycott in the County of Buckingham

Husbandman at the time of taking this inquisition was kinswoman and next heir of the aforesaid Richard

Busbye and is thirty years of age

* Note that ...est fateus et Ideota... could be taken more mildly as ...is a foolish and an ignorant uneducated man...

Note also that three words fatuus, Idiota and alicui are sometimes spelt fateus Ideota and alicue.  As these misspelled versions don't exist I have corrected them in making the translation.

Thank you so so much for translating this for me, I am so grateful for the time and effort it must have taken to have done all of this. It was more than I could have hoped for and knowing Alice is next of kin and heir has helped me to understand the wider family relationships. I can't tell you how happy I am as this has helped me get back another generation.

Best wishes and thank you again
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 October 23 01:28 BST (UK) »
HD86 has done all the work, but it may be worth pointing out that one purpose of such an inquisition into the property of a mentally incapable person was to protect the interests of his heirs. This was in case he had been unduly pressured into alienating (selling) property when he was not in a fit mental state to do so, thereby depriving his heirs of their due inheritance.

Note - super sacramentum suum = upon his/their oath(s).

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 October 23 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Bookbox,

Thank you very much for this, it is interesting to know why the inquisition was taken.

Richard's mother Elizabeth had remarried to Thomas Pymme (baron of the exchequer of the foreign receipts) after John Busby (Richard's father) died in 1530. In Thomas Pymme's 1549 will left his property in Islington to his wife for life and then to Thomas Pymme alias Frere and his property in Cornhill to Justyinian Rogers (not sure how Justyinian was related, he died 1551 and was married to Anne Hayward, sister of Rowland Lord Mayor of London) so perhaps they were establishing if Richard actually had rights to any of the property in Middlesex to protect Alice's interests?

His father John in his 1530 will left Richard money and his wife his property in Burford which was then to go to Richard. According to R H Gretton's Burford Records, John Busby d 1530 was the Richest man in Burford (he was buried in St Katherine's Chapple at Burford church but the Tanfield's planted their memorial likely on top of him so his 'marble stone' mentioned in his will, no longer exists to provide any information).

In a Burford survey of 1552 Richard Busby of Islington owned as a holding a burage in the High Street Burford and a close in Batts lane and 26 acres of arable in the fields of Burford and Signet (with one mead lying in Upton mead in the dry land). I wonder if Richard actually knew this at the time of the inquisition or whether this was lost for his heirs?

I think John was related to (perhaps a brother of) Richard Busby of Great Tew d 1539, Richard Busby of Long Compton d 1539 and Robert Busby of Chipping Norton d 1542. I believe Richard Busby of Great Tew d 1539 had a son called John who died in Steeple Barton 1548 (Richard mentions the surnames of his married daughters in his will and John refers to their husbands as brothers in his will) Interestingly Richard Busby s 1539 leaves his property in Oxford to Justyinian Rogers.

John Busby d 1548 mentions his son-in-law William Sheppard in his will and leaves William his farm at Steeple Barton. John's wife Agnes moves to Burnington to be with her daughter who married Nicholas Tolley. In Agnes' 1557 will she names another daughter as Elyn (Sheppard).

In William Sheppard's 1551 Steeple Barton will he mentions his nephew William Sheppard of Lydcott which must be the one mentioned in the inquisition.

It is interesting that it is Alice who is Richard Busby's heir and not Richard Busby's Busby relatives unless Alice Sheppard wife of William at Lydcott was a Busby herself, possibly a daughter of John Busby d 1530 (by his 1st wife Katherine with whom he is buried) but who is not mentioned in his will or even perhaps a relative of John Busby's wife Elizabeth who went on to marry Thomas Pymme (I don't know Elizabeth's maiden name).

Best wishes,
Emma
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 October 23 09:43 BST (UK) »
As Alice was Richard's blood relative, could she have been his sister, perhaps?

The inquisition as posted relates only to property held in Middlesex, so the Burford holdings wouldn't be covered there in any case.

Separate IPMs could be held for property owned by the same person in different counties. There is another IPM dating from 1561-62 relating to property in Oxfordshire. But perhaps it concerns a different Richard Busby?
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7825568

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 October 23 09:58 BST (UK) »
As Alice was Richard's blood relative, could she have been his sister, perhaps?

The inquisition as posted relates only to property held in Middlesex, so the Burford holdings wouldn't be covered there in any case.

Separate IPMs could be held for property owned by the same person in different counties. There is another IPM dating from 1561-62 relating to property in Oxfordshire. But perhaps it concerns a different Richard Busby?
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7825568

Hi,
Thanks very much for this link, I hadn't seen it before, I will see if I can order it from the National Archives as it could be him and John d 1530 may have taken care of any other children (eg Alice) in life rather than by a will hence not knowing about her before.
I really appreciate your help.
Best wishes,
Emma
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)