Author Topic: Can someone read a few lines of 7 Nov 1821 convict travel doc please  (Read 825 times)

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone read a few lines of 7 Nov 1821 convict travel doc please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 October 23 10:02 BST (UK) »
Sentences amassed?

Sue

Thank you   Sparrett .

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 October 23 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you   every one .

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 October 23 10:04 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth, it's Sentences annexed thereto.

Great job thank you .

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 October 23 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Susie
Please know, I am not doubting your info (re the ship name), just asking to clarify... and hoping to help.

Not that my knowledge is great, but I have never heard of the MC Sloop.... Generally MC refers to something like Maritime Commission.... it would describe either the owner, the type of ship... Like SS stands for STEAMSHIP.... HMS means Her/His Majesty's Ship....

I thought the word sloop referred to the sails on a ship, the specific arrangement of the sails... and that can include the sails arrangement for gun ships.

Would you please upload a link so we can see the actual record? 

I have tried to find him in Australia, but can't seem to locate him... where was he convicted please?  England, Ireland, Scotland.... I can't see him on the Old Bailey records of the Irish transportation records, so will need more info first.

Did he go to Newcastle, or was that just on the transportation document?  Its possible he did go to Newcastle, but not get off the ship.... and went to Tassie.

thanks
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 October 23 13:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry i cant help with a link.

He was JOHN     LEE
Born about 1804  London
Convicted at the Old Bailey 
Arrived 1819 on the Grenada
Was a constant  re offender  and  was sent  to Newcastle
Eventually was in Frazers lane in Sydney  for a short while
Newspaper   has him stealing   a boat  off  Billy Blue
Emus off someone else in Syd
Was in and out of Sydney  jail until  i lose him   for good   about 1831-  being whipped  again .
He was  whipped   50  times  on  a number of   times   and  100 lashes and was part of the tobacco  stealing  off the  Speedwell  .

I have never found his fate after 1831 -  but    have seen a few records for possibles in Asylums that need to be checked . 

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 October 23 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Susie
Please know, I am not doubting your info (re the ship name), just asking to clarify... and hoping to help.

Not that my knowledge is great, but I have never heard of the MC Sloop.... Generally MC refers to something like Maritime Commission.... it would describe either the owner, the type of ship... Like SS stands for STEAMSHIP.... HMS means Her/His Majesty's Ship....

I thought the word sloop referred to the sails on a ship, the specific arrangement of the sails... and that can include the sails arrangement for gun ships.

Would you please upload a link so we can see the actual record? 

I have tried to find him in Australia, but can't seem to locate him... where was he convicted please?  England, Ireland, Scotland.... I can't see him on the Old Bailey records of the Irish transportation records, so will need more info first.

Did he go to Newcastle, or was that just on the transportation document?  Its possible he did go to Newcastle, but not get off the ship.... and went to Tassie.

thanks

HMC Sloop Sally (HM Colonial sloop?)

link to original record
https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/permalink/f/1ebnd1l/INDEX2518424

M

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 October 23 05:19 BST (UK) »
"HMC"  = (His Majesty's Cutter). 

Just a piece of unrelated information:
HMC Sally was used by surveyor John Bingle in 1821 - see below for his comment
In the month of December, 1821, I first visited Newcastle in command of H. M. C. Sloop Sally, on a voyage to examine and finish the coast survey between Sydney and Torres Straits, especially Moreton Bay; and my report of its capabilities being considered favourable, Mr. Oxley, the Surveyor General, was sent to select and establish the settlement.

It seems probable that the Sally was also used to transport prisoners on the coastal run. 

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 October 23 06:17 BST (UK) »
"HMC"  = (His Majesty's Cutter). 

Just a piece of unrelated information:
HMC Sally was used by surveyor John Bingle in 1821 - see below for his comment
In the month of December, 1821, I first visited Newcastle in command of H. M. C. Sloop Sally, on a voyage to examine and finish the coast survey between Sydney and Torres Straits, especially Moreton Bay; and my report of its capabilities being considered favourable, Mr. Oxley, the Surveyor General, was sent to select and establish the settlement.

Thank you for that --very interesting !!!

It seems probable that the Sally was also used to transport prisoners on the coastal run. 

Judith

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 October 23 06:53 BST (UK) »
The very last time i have JOHN LEE  was here  on Oct  22-1832   in Sydney  Goal  when he was being sent to  District 7 
but have no   idea where that  is  in NSW

He has just had another 50 lashes .
He has had a few 50 's  in Newcastle
And one  of 100 lashes