Author Topic: Parish records for Wagbeach area  (Read 252 times)

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish records for Wagbeach area
« on: Sunday 01 October 23 13:13 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a Purslow family name, mainly in the 1800s. They lived in or near Wagbeach in Shropshire, nearest town appears to be Minsterley, nearest church possibly Snailbeach.
I can't find any baptism or burial records online for this family, or indeed parish records around that area. Does anyone know where I can look next please?
Boliver - Selattyn/St. Martins
Hinton - Whitchurch/Ightfield
Parry - Hanmer/Bronington
Clarke - Barnsley/Lancaster
Clegg - Rochdale/Lancaster
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt
Benbow - Shropshire

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records for Wagbeach area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 23 13:35 BST (UK) »
There are some nonconformist records on FindMyPast and fs would seem to have records for Minsterley as well.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 October 23 13:50 BST (UK) »
GenUKI says, of the parish of Westbury:
" MINSTERLEY, a chapelry in the parish of Westbury, hundred of Ford, county Salop, 10 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town, and 13 from Bishop's Castle. The London and North-Western railway has a branch line from Shrewsbury to Minsterley. The village, which is large, is situated on the river Rea, and on the road from Shrewsbury to Montgomery. The extensive and productive lead mine of Snailbeach is in this parish, the company of which have extensive smelting works, &c., at Pontesbury. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £96. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient brick structure with a turret containing a clock and one bell. There is a free school, the endowment of which has been fraudulently disposed of; but is now supported by the Marquis of Bath and the Snailbeach Company, together with the children's weekly pence. The Marquis of Bath is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 October 23 15:11 BST (UK) »
A parish register that includes Snailbeach as Place of Baptism is on FindMyPast but the register is in something of a state. FindMyPast has captured details, where possible, but chunks of pages are missing or entries competely illegible.

Added - checking a few entries it appears to be the nonconformist register (baptist) already referred to.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline SMJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 October 23 02:16 BST (UK) »
A good online resource for Shropshire Parish registers up to 1813 is
https://www.melocki.org.uk/MelockiSalop.html

There are Purslows to be found in nearby Pontesbury and a couple in Ratlinghope. It's also worth noting that it could be a toponymic derived name as there is a hamlet of Purslow about 12 miles south of the area you are working with.

As a result of the lead mining operations around Snailbeach and Ratlinghope in the 1700s (a good resume of the mining operations there can be found at https://www.iarecordings.org/features/snailbeachleadmine.html) the surrounding area had several Non-Conformist chapels but Minsterley was not build until about the 1830s, though a chapel house was licensed in 1795. Snailbeach Primative Methodist Chapel was not started till 1876 though meetings had taken place in the area.
Useful website at http://www.users.waitrose.com/~coxfamily/
Paternal:
Jones (Shropshire & Flintshire Wales)
Wilding (Shropshire)
Davies (Shropshire)
Thomas (Denbighshire Wales)
Williams (Shropshire)
Roberts (Denbighshire Wales)
Oare (Shropshire)
Everall (Shropshire)

Maternal:
Black (Leicestershire)
Wilkins (Leicestershire)
Randall/Randle (Warwickshire & Leicestershire)
Dyer (Warwickshire & Leicestershire)
Whitaker (Leicestershire)
Toplis (Derbyshire & Leicestershire)
Pike (Leicestershire)
Sheldon (Leicestershire)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 October 23 10:02 BST (UK) »
There is also Lordshill Particular Baptist Chapel at Lordshill, above Snailbeach on the edge of Eastridge Coppice ,
My family members are buried there.
I went to school with two Purslow boys ,they lived up Crow’s Nest Dingle, up a steep path from the main road between Snailbeach village
and Stiperstones village, where our school was.
I tried to find burial records for oLordsHill ,but no success, then when the cave in at the top of Lordshill bank was cleared- it had been used as a tipping place for years, some remnants were found .
I needed to know where one member had been buried with her baby in 1914.

Meetings were held at one time at the smithy on the works’ site ,at the top of the rough road known as “ Clink ‘ leading from the main road to the works site at Snailbeach .
We often went there for the children’s meetings , although our Sunday School was at Snailbeach Methodist Chapel on the main road, where the husband the of the couple I lived with was a Lay Preacher,the wife who had lived at Eastridge as a child was a Baptist so we went to Lordshill often too.
My paternal great grandparents are buried there with some of their children .
My paternal grandmother went to Manchester for work in 1895, stayed, she married and is buried there ,dying in 1919.
I lived in Snailbeach from 1940 to 1945, having been taken by my parents to Dad’s family for safety, I was three, and left aged eight .
Those five and a half years were very influential, I love going back ,sadly now for funerals mostly!
It was a very happy time with good kind people ,I was truly lucky .
Viktoria.