Author Topic: Florence Rushworth nee Shooter  (Read 217 times)

Offline Krobinson89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Florence Rushworth nee Shooter
« on: Sunday 01 October 23 21:20 BST (UK) »
Good evening,
I am trying to find information on my maternal great grandmother as we are hoping to track down my paternal great grandfather whom is unknown to our family.

However, it seems that Florence is a bit of enigma. In 1921, she is registered at 33 Dennis Street with her parents Esther Annie and James,and then she is registered as living in Hapton, Burnley in 1939 with Samuel A Faller, his wife and daughter and my grandmother.

Could anyone find where she was living in 1937? I believe this is the key to narrowing down my search.

According to our DNA, my great grandfather is more than likely German and we know that he lived in the same area as my great grandmother.

Thank you in advance,
Kirsty

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Rushworth nee Shooter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 October 23 21:47 BST (UK) »
It'll be a bit of a challenge as she's too young to appear on electoral registers in 1937

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 23 06:52 BST (UK) »
With so little to go on you will need to think broadly.

A little internet search suggests FALLER might be a surname of South Germanic origin.
I don't know enough about DNA ethnic classification, but you have suggested you are searching for some German connection.

I think Samuel Augustine FALLER had sons born up to 1911 so it might pay to try locating them in 1938 by using the electoral registers around that year. It is a longshot, but Samuel and Ellen might be the little girl's grandparents.

You may think this is worth a try. ::)
Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 23 07:02 BST (UK) »
Birth
Dec 1938 Bradford 9b 217
Shooter, Doreen   
Mother Shooter   

Date of birth, confirmed by death index, is 13 Oct 1938

Offline Krobinson89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 23 07:38 BST (UK) »
With so little to go on you will need to think broadly.

A little internet search suggests FALLER might be a surname of South Germanic origin.
I don't know enough about DNA ethnic classification, but you have suggested you are searching for some German connection.

I think Samuel Augustine FALLER had sons born up to 1911 so it might pay to try locating them in 1938 by using the electoral registers around that year. It is a longshot, but Samuel and Ellen might be the little girl's grandparents.

You may think this is worth a try. ::)
Sue

Hi, I looked into this angle and no dice. We have no common DNA with the Fallers. It seems that when my great-grandmother was younger they lived on Daniel Street and she was friends with their daughter and then I presume she moved with them as part of the evacuee programme to Burnley in 1939 as my grandmother would be just under 1.

I cannot access any of the registers which is what I'm looking for.

Or, perhaps there is a list of Germans living in Bradford during this time? I've already contacted the old German Anglican church but not heard anything yet.

Thanks,
Kirsty

Offline Krobinson89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 October 23 07:38 BST (UK) »
Birth
Dec 1938 Bradford 9b 217
Shooter, Doreen   
Mother Shooter   

Date of birth, confirmed by death index, is 13 Oct 1938

Yes, this is my grandmother :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 October 23 07:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, I thought it was a bit of stretch, but I'm glad it has been considered.

;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Krobinson89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 23 08:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have considered a number of angles.

Being German makes sense as it would explain why my great-grandmother didn't want it revealing given the anti-German sentiment at the time.

I have a list of all the children who were sent on the Kindertransport from Germany and there is one possible contender, but it would make him very young when she had my grandmother. Although Florence herself was only 18.

I am trying to contact the Jewish society of Bradford to see if they have a list of members from this time too and am asking connections on 23andme to share their family trees to see if I can connect the dots.

It's very difficult as I no longer live in Bradford, but my mother would love to know about her heritage as she always felt there was something missing from her identity but didn't know what.