Author Topic: METROPOLITAN POLICE WARRANT NUMBER 66405 || William MATTIN || 1882-1883  (Read 258 times)

Offline catanaccio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
METROPOLITAN POLICE WARRANT NUMBER 66405 || William MATTIN || 1882-1883
« on: Monday 02 October 23 09:28 BST (UK) »
Good morning. I'm not sure if anyone can help or advise. We are looking for more details of my wife's Great (x2) Grandfather, William Mattin. He was born in Dallinghoo in Suffolk but then moved to London as a young man. He worked mainly as a coach painter but, according to family rumour, spent some time as a police constable. We believe, having used online resources, that he may well have had Warrant Number 66405 (starting in April 1882 and resigning in December 1883). He seems to have been posted to B Division (Chelsea) which very much ties in with addresses that he was associated with. We don't live in the UK so can't easily access hard copy archive data, if indeed any exists. What would be great would be to find a copy of his joining up papers or his career record but I am not certain that these are available. Can anyone advise what might be available and how we could ask someone to do a little rummaging for us? Many thanks in advance. Ian Holmes.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: METROPOLITAN POLICE WARRANT NUMBER 66405 || William MATTIN || 1882-1883
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 23 10:06 BST (UK) »
Have a read at this National Archives Page which gives details of the records and their availability
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/london-metropolitan-police-british-transport-police-railway-police/

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 23 11:12 BST (UK) »
I'm not familiar with the Metropolitan records, but in my own family I managed to get from the Notts. County Record Office a copy of a "Descriptive Register" of a policeman with Nottinghamshire Constabulary.  This contained some marvellous particulars, including a detailed physical description and career history.  I don't know whether the "Descriptive Register" was common terminology across other police forces.  If it is, try to get one!

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 23 11:41 BST (UK) »
The record of him joining can be downloaded (free) from TNA ( MEPO 4/335) - for someone with such short service that is all there is likely to be.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C210735

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 October 23 17:06 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the document AntonyMMM pointed you towards doesn't tell you anything that you didn't already know, namely his date of enlistment and date of resignation. In case you haven't previously  seen this document, you need page 30 of MEPO 4/335_3.pdf. There are no other details about his service.