Author Topic: Jeremiah Reed  (Read 520 times)

Offline KrissieC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeremiah Reed
« on: Monday 02 October 23 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, my 3 x great grandfather is Jeremiah Reed, apparently born in 1804 ( according to an entry in a family bible) and most census returns.  He states he was born in Warbleton or Herstmonceux, he married Benedicta Sands in 1828, from then on I have found him and his family.  I think I have exhausted most online records over the last 20 years trying to find his birth family with definitive proof.  Can anyone out there help please.

There are several Reed families that his birth would fit Into, but nothing to prove one over another.

Thanks for reading
KC
Sussex - Reed, Sands, Honeysett - Hunnisett - Morris, Pattenden, Hailselden, Manser, Hollands, Shoesmith

Lancs - Catterall

Berks - Soper

London - Dixon, Tildesley

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Reed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 00:47 BST (UK) »
The witness at the wedding was Rhoda Reed and he names a daughter Rhoda, so was she a sister?

He was of Warbleton Sussex when he married at Wartling

Offline KrissieC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 07:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for responding, I have followed this theory with no positive outcome, the only Rhoda Reed either married or unmarried local to the area, appears to have died before his marriage.  Therefore  dead end! 

I have wondered if he was adopted, nothing in Bastardy registers or Putative Father records that fits either.
Sussex - Reed, Sands, Honeysett - Hunnisett - Morris, Pattenden, Hailselden, Manser, Hollands, Shoesmith

Lancs - Catterall

Berks - Soper

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 08:00 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Kent, Warbleton is not far and as he was an ag lab., his father before him was probably

one as well and could have moved for work. 

Offline KrissieC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the thought, I have indeed tried neighbouring Counties and beyond, there are very few Jeremiah Reed's on either Ancestry.com or Findmypast, none fit the hole in  my jigsaw.

It is now an itch that is frustrating, and I have resorted to searching any and all parish registers in and around Heathfield and surrounding areas, looking for any clues.

Even spent several days wandering the church yards looking at memorials for that illusive clue.

Lancs - Catterall

Berks - Soper

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 11:26 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it was because they were non conformist.

Not many of the records have been transcribed on line, perhaps an investigation of where Independent records are held for Kent or other nearby areas.

If I remember correctly Rhoda, Harriet and Emily were all bap. at the Heathfield Independent Chapel.

Offline KrissieC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 12:13 BST (UK) »
Yes they do appear to be non-conformist, Jeremiah and Benedicta's children were mostily baptised at Heathfield Independent Chapel

Rhoda, Harriett, Amelia/Emily, Sophia and Frances (my 2 x  G Grandmother. 

The other children Ansley Lucy, George, Milton John and Ansley Rosina look to be Herstmonceux.

Lancs - Catterall

Berks - Soper

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 12:49 BST (UK) »
I thought Ansley and Milton sounded like surnames being carried on in the family but it could be

from the Sands side and not the Reed side.

First daughter is Rhoda, she would normally be named after the maternal grandmother but her name was Lucy, so maybe his mother was Rhoda?

Harriet, Sophia, George, are from the Sands side and maybe Ansley Lucy 1843-1847.

That leaves Emily, Frances, Milton and maybe Ansley Rosalie from the Reed side.

Offline KrissieC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 13:09 BST (UK) »
Good thought process, I ahver tied myself up in knots chasing tenuous leads, but the surname one is a good idea.

The only names that are carried through any of the Children of Jeremiah and Benedicta in any form are Ansley, Milton and Emily.

Will try another different approach now

Thanks

Lancs - Catterall

Berks - Soper