Author Topic: Richardus de Louet, Seigneur Upper Normandy. Tomb may be seen Rouen Cathedral.  (Read 791 times)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kia ora

I have this information
Richardus de Louet, was a Seigneur of Upper Normandy, where his ancestors had been for many generations.  There are records in the Libraries of Caen, Rouen and Havre which can be consulted on the subject.  He was one of the few who accompanied the Conqueror into England without receiving pay for his services and he returned to die in his own country (1150c), and his tomb may be seen to this day in the cathedral at Rouen, France

If possible I want to see a picture of the tomb - although I have googled I cannot find anything, any ideas about how to find this will be much appreciated.

Nga mihi
Bronwen
Aotearoa
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richardus de Louet, Seigneur Upper Normandy. Tomb may be seen Rouen Cathedral.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 06:40 BST (UK) »
Although Rouen Cathedral was consecrated in 1063 in the presence of William the Conqueror, the cathedral was damaged by fire in 1200 and subsequently rebuilt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouen_Cathedral

Also there are 84 years between 1150 and 1066.

Tony

Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richardus de Louet, Seigneur Upper Normandy. Tomb may be seen Rouen Cathedral.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 07:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Tony.  I didn't know anything about it.  I had seen in Wikipedia that it says 'dubious' after that statement.   I saw his birth date as 1190c on Wikitree - given he went with William the Conqueror theoretically with his sons, things are seriously askew...   I see Richard the Lionheart's effigy etc is in that cathedral, presumably he was rescued before the total destruction of the place.

It also says:
His name,[dubious – discuss] and that of his sons' (as Guilliame Louvet) are engraved on the wall of the Notre-Dame Church at Dives-sur-Mer together with other companions of William the Conqueror, Normandy.

In fact only the son Guilliame Louvet is listed - engraved, bit debatable whether it is engraved, looks like it is written on a big sheet of something and framed.

Many thanks for your help, I know little of the history of that time but have learnt a great deal.

Nga mihi nui (very best wishes)
Bronwen
Aotearoa

Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh