Author Topic: Anyone else noticed this problem with Carmarthenshire Marriage Parish Records?  (Read 367 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
On-line parish records, whether it be on Ancestry, FindMyPast or other sites, are a great boon to those of us researching our ancestors. However, I have noticed, in recent weeks, an issue on the Ancestry site, in that search results for Carmarthenshire marriage parish records no longer display the year or place of marriage, they used to. As a result any downloaded records don’t contain this information either. Search results only show day and month of marriage which is of very limited use.

I am trying to resolve this issue with Ancestry, however after a few correspondences they are not grasping that there is an issue and that it needs to be resolved. This is a major “corruption” of this database.

Can any other members that use Ancestry please check if they have same issue. If so, I would be grateful if you too could report this issue to Ancestry, as the more people that raise it the more likely it is to get resolved. At the moment I feel like I am hitting my head against a brick wall!

Thank you

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else noticed this problem with Carmarthenshire Marriage Parish Records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 10:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, corrupted database. I have a marriage and a baptism from Conway, indexed as Clynnog Fawr. Did report it when I found it, at least a year ago, but still wrong. Have just reported it again.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/62100/images/004394848_00140?pId=487933

And yet all they do is give us more unwanted gismo's.
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else noticed this problem with Carmarthenshire Marriage Parish Records?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 10:31 BST (UK) »
Carmarthenshire marriages same here. I have reported it, but without optimism.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 23 21:43 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid that Ancestry don't care about accuracy, just numbers. Even if records are indexed as being in the wrong country, they don't care, because they still count to that number they can quote in the adverts.

I have found several Welsh parishes indexed as being in England, usually with an obviously incorrect location - one (with double L at the front of its name) was supposedly in Derbyshire. Reporting it caused not a ripple in the Ancestry leviathan.

They don't care about important things like references either. Try and find a page number for a 1891 England Census entry, or search for a particular page. They used to be there, but a corrupption (sic) removed them about five years ago. Again, reporting these things has no effect.

On the other hand, FindMyPast seem to take these things seriously. The 1939 Register launched with everyone in BlackPOOL being indexed as being in BlackBURN. It only took a couple of days to be sorted.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.