Author Topic: “Archmore”, Mill Lane, Kidmore End, Reading  (Read 285 times)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
“Archmore”, Mill Lane, Kidmore End, Reading
« on: Tuesday 03 October 23 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I’ve just discovered that a baby who was born in Birdhurst Lodge, Croydon in 1948 was put in “Archmore”, Mill Lane, Kidmore End, Reading between 1948 and 1950.

Whilst I have found information about the unmarried mother’s home at Birdhurst Lodge, I cannot find anything about “Archmore”.

Does anyone know anything about “Archmore”?
When it operated as a home for young babies…
A photograph of it…
Why a baby would be sent from Croydon to Reading…

Many thanks
SNG

Offline MarysInMyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: “Archmore”, Mill Lane, Kidmore End, Reading
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi SNG

I don't know if this is useful to you, scroll down for an a google earth view:
https://themovemarket.com/tools/propertyprices/archmore-mill-lane-reading-rg4-9hb
Archmore is either the property label TT Roofing, or the one slightly to the left.
They can also be seen on Google Street View - with a shared drive which makes it difficult to determine which is which.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the area, but I see this is in the 'Berkshire' forum - Kidmore End records also come under 'Oxfordshire'.
If you have a Find My Past sub [unfortunately I don't at the moment] you can search by address which could be useful.

Probate search:
Patty Penelope PALMER of Archmore Farm, Mill Lane, Kidmore End, Oxfordshire. D 16 Jan 1965 Probate Oxford 18 Feb 1966 to Herbert Leslie PALMER, farmer Ł774.

M
Cumberland: Corson, Eilbeck, Frear(s), Gunson, Jackson, Jardin(e), Jordan, Lawson, Lowery, Noble, Sim(m), Smallwood, Tyson, Williamson, Wilson
Kent: Anscomb(e), Fisher, Watts
Devon: Moule
Glamorganshire: Evans, James, Lloyd, Moule, Rees
Lancashire/Merseyside: Birchall, Campbell, Chesworth, Disley, Fisher, Howard, Price

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: “Archmore”, Mill Lane, Kidmore End, Reading
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 February 24 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MarysinMyTree

No I am not familiar with the area. I am looking for a friend who was there before being adopted.

We heard today that Croydon have no records dating back to April 1948 when he was born in a mother and baby home. Probably because it was privately run and before it was the NHS came into being.

Thank you for the link. I will show it to him when I see him next. I will also check on FindMyPast.

Best wishes
SNG