Author Topic: Louisa Weiss  (Read 196 times)

Offline alyrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Louisa Weiss
« on: Tuesday 03 October 23 20:02 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could help me find some more information on my 2nd Great Grandmother, Louisa Weiss, born 1845, in Germany.

She married my 2nd great grandfather, Charles Sharpe aged 24 on 10/07/1869 in Lovell Hill Road, Winkfield, Nr Windsor, Berkshire where she lived until she died in 1926.

They had 5 children together and on the census she listed herself:

On 1871 census Louisa Sharpe, Aged 26. Wife, born in Germany

Aged 36, Naturalised British Subject, Germany

On 1891 census Louisa Sharpe, Aged 46, Wife, born in Rakershire, Germany

On 1911 census Louisa Sharpe, Aged 66, Widowed

I’ve tried checking the passenger immigration lists from Germany to England and could only find a couple of Weiss entries between her birthdate of 1845 - 1869 marriage date uk.

She possibly came over aged 5 or 6 from Hamburg, destination New York travelling with a family of 4 Weiss members, father listed as JH but I’m not sure if this is her or not.

But I’m trying to gather her history, when she arrived in the UK, who she travelled with, what happened to her parents, any siblings. I don’t know whether she arrived as an adult on her own and left her family behind in Germany or whether she travelled as a child and lived in the UK somewhere before meeting and marrying Charles Sharpe.

My Ancestry DNA ethnicity has come up with 5% Norway and 6% Sweden & Denmark and at the moment, I don’t have any other details about her parents or siblings.

But thanks to anyone that can help or suggestions where to look now

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa Weiss
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi! And welcome to RC!  :)

Do you have an image you can upload showing her place of birth in Germany? Rakershire does not exist here (I'm in Germany). If we can find out where she was actually born, it would be a good start.

Thanks,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 21:45 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could help me find some more information on my 2nd Great Grandmother, Louisa Weiss, born 1845, in Germany.

She married my 2nd great grandfather, Charles Sharpe aged 24 on 10/07/1869 in Lovell Hill Road, Winkfield, Nr Windsor, Berkshire where she lived until she died in 1926.

They had 5 children together and on the census she listed herself:

On 1871 census Louisa Sharpe, Aged 26. Wife, born in Germany

Aged 36, Naturalised British Subject, Germany

On 1891 census Louisa Sharpe, Aged 46, Wife, born in Rakershire, Germany

On 1911 census Louisa Sharpe, Aged 66, Widowed

Do you have her marriage certificate ? If so, what was the name of her father, his occupation, who witnessed the marriage?

FindMyPast has Germany Birth And Baptism Index 1558-1898 there are a few entries for persons named Louise Weiss born Germany

1891 census entry for Louisa doesn’t give her pob it reads Germany Naturalized British Subject
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 23 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Welcome to Rootschat!

Louisa Charlotte Amelia Sharpe nee Weiss, stated that her place of birth was Buckeburg, Germany on the 1921 census. At the time of the 1921 census she was 76 years of age, and lived on Lovell Road, Winkfield near Bracknell.

One other fact that she stated on the 1911 census was that she was Naturalized in 1867.

A marriage certificate has been sent for.

This is the marriage ref for her and Charles Sharpe; Q3 1869 Easthampstead Vol 2c Pg 731

I had wondered if she was Jewish, but after much thought I'm guessing she was more likely to be a Lutheran. I am very interested to know why she left Germany for Britain, and where her family originated from.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 23 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Welcome to Rootschat!

Louisa Charlotte Amelia Sharpe nee Weiss, stated that her place of birth was Buckeburg, Germany on the 1921 census. At the time of the 1921 census she was 76 years of age, and lived on Lovell Road, Winkfield near Bracknell.

Just a quick note, as it may well help in your search: I can't find a Buckeburg in Germany, but there is a Bückeburg in the state of Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) about 60km south-west of Hannover, close to the border with Nordrhein-Westfalen.

The Umlaut can make a big difference when you are searching German records.

If your computer won't produce an Umlaut, type in "ue" instead of "ü". (Bueckeburg)
That should do the trick.

All the best,
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 October 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
There wouldn't be any naturalisation records for her; she automatically gained the status of British Subject upon marriage to Charles.

There also don't seem to be any other Weiss families in the area. Perhaps she came to the area as a domestic servant and her family were in London or another metropolitan area. The marriage certificate will hopefully shed some light.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alyrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 October 23 19:51 BST (UK) »
Just a quick note, as it may well help in your search: I can't find a Buckeburg in Germany, but there is a Bückeburg in the state of Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) about 60km south-west of Hannover, close to the border with Nordrhein-Westfalen.

The Umlaut can make a big difference when you are searching German records.

If your computer won't produce an Umlaut, type in "ue" instead of "ü". (Bueckeburg)
That should do the trick.

Thanks, will try that in my searches :)