Author Topic: Help needed to decipher WWI Military Service Record in French  (Read 412 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to decipher WWI Military Service Record in French
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 October 23 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, Zefiro,

Thank you so much for finding that article.  It is very interesting and certainly adds to the possible causes for flat feet. 

From my study of DNA and inherited genetic traits, it is my understanding that flat feet are a recessive genetic trait shared by about 10%-20% of the general population.  My mother had flat feet and so did her father.  Another 3rd cousin, a descendant from the same line also, has flat feet as did her father.  While there is a 50% chance that I would inherit this trait, so far, I've been lucky.

But, as to this fellow, as there are no other medical records available for him, it is impossible to tell why he was deemed suffering from idiocy.  I suppose there were no enlistment options at that time and he had to report for enlistment, only to be rejected due to his infirmities.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to decipher WWI Military Service Record in French
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 October 23 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, Joger,

Thank you for providing the life expectancy data.  Very interesting.

I have read that in the 1940s life expectancy of Down Syndrome patients in Britain was only the age of 12 with the rise in life expectancy increasing dramatically from that time onward.  I can't imagine what the life expectancy of someone with Down Syndrome would have been at that time in Algeria.

CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE