Author Topic: Eleanor O'Neal of Shoreditch  (Read 1734 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Eleanor O'Neal of Shoreditch
« on: Wednesday 04 October 23 02:01 BST (UK) »
Look up please

Is there any details of a baptism of Eleanor O'Neale in Shoreditch area. I have an Eleanor O'Neale who married William Banks on 1 Mar 1830 St. Leonard's Shoreditch, both of that parish. I have also Eleanor Banks, aged 31, who was buried on 17 Sep 1840 at St. Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney with her abode as being Mile End Old Town.
This not enough evidence to prove that she was the first wife of Henry William Banks, a widow, who married Frances Raven on 21 Feb 1841 St. Bride, London, although it does record that he lived in Bell Street, Mile End New Town. Henry William Banks was a currier.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor O'Neal of Shoreditch
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 04:36 BST (UK) »
There is an Eleanor Augusta O'NEAL baptised 30 July 1807, born 2 Feb 1795, parents Charles and Thomasine O'NEAL at St George the Martyr, Southwark. She may be a bit early for your Eleanor though if aged 31 in 1840.  :-\

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 05:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 06:02 BST (UK) »
I have been searching unsuccessfully the 1841 census trying to locate the Henry William BANKS who married Frances RAVEN. in Feb 1841

The roundabout thinking I had was that if there were children in the household of the newlyweds aged between 10 years and infancy, they may be from the marriage to Eleanor before her death and that may hint at the 2 men being the same BANKS. Especially if records of the births/baptisms  could be found.

However, no go!

They are found in 1851 and by then there are several children of their marriage with them.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 06:47 BST (UK) »
Just for info I think this could be them in 1841 - living at Old Kent Road Alfred Place, St George Southwark

Benjamin   Denston   37   Surrey, England
Mary   Denston   37      -
Artemesia   Knowles   70   Surrey, England
Henry   Banks   30   Currier
Francis   Banks   25   

Kay

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 10:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maddys, Sue and Kay
I have Henry William Banks reasonably under control following his second marriage to Frances Raven.
He married her 21 Feb 1841 St. Bride and his father Henry Banks, the currier was confirmed. All Henry Banks' kids could write their own names.

Yes, 1841 Census for the newly weds 7 Alfred Place, of Kent Road. I never found a family connection to Mrs. Artemestia Knowles, who they share accommodation.
Their chn were Henry William Sep 1842 St. Geo Southwark; d. Dec 1852
Frances Banks Oct 1844 d. Jul 1852
William Henry Banks b.Jan 1847 died 14 Dec 1867 Hobart
Charlotte b.Mar 1851 Southwark; d. 25 Jul 1852 and Ann the mother also died c4 Jul 1852, so my guess is that cholera killed mother and her 3 chn in 1852.
Father Henry William Banks died 18 May 1858 St. Thomas Hospital with a Will that connects to his sister Eliza Powell of Bethanl Green. She claimed she was next of kin when his son was still alive in Hobart.
The following year, James Banks (the brother also a currier in Bermondsey) and his wife Ann Brown emigrated to Hobart (1859) with their 8 kids and nephew, the above William Henry Banks, who was about 3 years older than his first cousin with the same name. So that will confuse some people.
I was basically trying to see if Eleanor O'Neale can be confirmed as the first wife of Henry William Banks and he has used his second name when he married her.
Keith

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 16:54 BST (UK) »

Yes, 1841 Census for the newly weds 7 Alfred Place, of Kent Road. I never found a family connection to Mrs. Artemestia Knowles, who they share accommodation.

I think that there is possibly a / between Artemesia and the Banks on the census - it is alongside the 'H' of Henry
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie
Back before 2012 when I first looked at 1841 Census for 7 Alfred Place I have just retyped the info and did not do a screen print, where as 1851 Census 8 Stamford Place, I included screen print.
Are you able to do a screen print of 1841 Census to show the possible indication that Artemesia Knowles may have been related and I will look for my previous rough notes.
Keith

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 22:50 BST (UK) »
Rosie
Found my original screenprint of HO 107/1085/7 7 Alfred Place
Can't see your reference

Artemesia Knowles 70 Ind           Y
Henry Banks          30 \ Currier  / N
Francis  Do            25 \ Ind          N  /

What am I missing in this information?
Keith