Author Topic: Eleanor O'Neal of Shoreditch  (Read 1729 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor O'Neal of Shoreditch
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 07 October 23 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Is this from GRO or BMD ? I used GRO two weeks ago for the 7 GBP version.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 07 October 23 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Login to GRO.
Find your required record.
You will see then purchase options.
Follow Neale's instructions having your card handy.

The image will be immediately available to view and download for files.
Sue

PS ADDING.
About the confusion of men from 2 generations having the same name, I would say it is one of the greatest cause of muddle and error in family trees. Very easy to do ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 07 October 23 01:55 BST (UK) »
Jonw65
Your response about the death of father and son wrong way round is the best option. I will purchase the records and 1852  also could fit Hooghly ship immigration record below:

There was a transcription underneath that both parents died and underneath (9 years ago).

My error for 1851 death of daughter
#3900 Frances Banks       Stamford Place, East Street, Old Kent Road    buried 11 May 1851 Age 6
#4509 Frances Banks    8 Stamford Place, East Lane, St. Georges, Southwark buried 8 Jul 1852 Age 37
#4537 Charlotte Banks  8 Stamford Place, East Lane, Walworth             buried 25 Jul 1852 Age 20 mon.

Back to the death in St. Thomas Hospital of the 15 year old boy named Henry Banks in 1858, the purchase of that record may better define his dad. I will purchase the same.

Thank you everyone for your help.

There is one more clue for me to work on.

There was a letter written in 1898 by a Joseph Banks, who was only 3 on that same ship Hooghly immigration list and born in Bermondsey to James Banks and Ann Brown.

He wrote:  My grandfather’s brother John Banks left for the Colonies many years ago....
I had an uncle by the name of H. Harris whose father left valuable papers concerning my uncle’s fortune. The 1841 Census records do so Banks living with Harris to help confirm that statement.

It is possible that the nephew Henry William Banks had belonged to this John Banks. I have not found any record of that John Banks coming to the colonies either as a convict, gold searcher or otherwise.

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 07 October 23 02:03 BST (UK) »

I assumed that Henry William Banks was born 17 Sep 1809 Spitalfields, the son of Henry [James] Banks and Ann Rugg who had married 24 Dec 1807 St. Mary Rotherhithe was the same who died 18 May 1858 St. Thomas Hospital London

Henry Banks (currier) and Ann Rugg married in1807
Henry Banks born 1785 East Ham: died 1872 Bishops Gate
Henry had a second marriage in 1849 to MaryAnn Robbins, so his first wife Ann Rugg must have died before 1849.

This could be her death registration. (She is age approx. 50 in the 1841 census)
BANKS, ANN       Age 58 
GRO Reference: 1847  M Quarter in SAINT MARY MAGDALEN BERMONDSEY SURREY  Volume 04  Page 31
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 07 October 23 02:24 BST (UK) »
Yes thank you Neale 1961.
I had purchased Ann Banks, nee Rugg's death a number of years ago...
6 Mar 1847 1 Willow Walk Bermondsey wife of Henry Banks currier bronchitis.
Our daughter has a dna match with the Rugg of Limehouse clan.

Henry [James] Banks married (2) Mary Ann Robbins 23 Dec 1849 Adelphi Chapel Bethnal Green
I arrived at his second name as James, as per the 1898 letter that his son wrote where he referred to his grandfather as James and not Henry who lived to a ripe old age in London (yes 88). There is evidence that Jane Banks 15 had lived with Mary Robbins in 1841 when Mary Robbins, nee Mason was widowed. So, Henry knew her from previous years.
Henry Banks must have adopted her son Luke Robbins as he died 1 May 1885 Homerton Workhouse and in 1881 8 Acorn St Bishopsgate Luke Banks 57 a lodger (deaf and dumb matches other references as well).

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 07 October 23 02:27 BST (UK) »
I would like to comment that the 2 signatures from the two marriage certificates posted by NEALE in Reply #11 are (or my money, ;D )made by the same man.
Sue

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 07 October 23 03:48 BST (UK) »
Three digital images of deaths
Eleanor Banks 1840
Henry Banks 1852 aged 44
Henry Banks 1856 aged 16 or 15 purchased.

We might now get the facts.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 07 October 23 03:57 BST (UK) »
JonW65
How do I post a screen print like you did for Probate 1879?

The probate I have was different. It read Banks Henry William Personal Estate Under 200 pounds Resworn November 1879 under 100 pounds and did not mention that Eliza was the Aunt and one of Next of Kin.
It had just said William Henry Banks the Brother only Next of Kin and as such my bad error.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 07 October 23 04:52 BST (UK) »
JonW is not about at the moment.
I can suggest this.

Locate the snipping tool in Edge  or Chrome.
Open the image you wish to save and use the tool to "frame"  the piece by drawing round it.
Along the top see a computer icon and click this to get the save to files option.
Title it and Save as jpg to your files.

Open reply window on R Chat and at the bottom left see attachments and options.
Where there is attach optiion, "choose file" and locate the saved jpg. Click open.
It's done.

It will not show in preview, but will be there on the main board when you look.
(I hope ;D ;D)
 Sue