Author Topic: Eleanor O'Neal of Shoreditch  (Read 1727 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor O'Neal of Shoreditch
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 October 23 17:22 BST (UK) »
Rosie
Found my original screenprint of HO 107/1085/7 7 Alfred Place
Can't see your reference

Artemesia Knowles 70 Ind           Y
Henry Banks          30 \ Currier  / N
Francis  Do            25 \ Ind          N  /

What am I missing in this information?
Keith

Sorry for the delay.  I was referring to the stroke in front of Henry's name that does not quite cross the line between the next column.  You can see there is also one against Marys name above it
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 October 23 17:24 BST (UK) »
Eliza Noble was the administratrix of the estate of William Henry Banks, the brother and next of kin (of Henry, called Henry William in the probate record)

Yes, the 1879 Probate Calendar has an entry for William Henry as well his older brother!
William Henry Banks, late of Hobart Town Tasmania, Currier, Bachelor
Died 16 Dec 1867
Administration granted (11 October 1879) to Eliza Noble the Aunt and one of the Next of Kin

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 October 23 17:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay. 

Welcome back Rosie!
I'm sure that Keith is going to be absolutely delighted with all this information :)

And images as well!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 October 23 17:30 BST (UK) »
I have Henry William Banks reasonably under control following his second marriage to Frances Raven.

I think maybe things weren't quite as under control as you hoped, but we are getting there!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 October 23 17:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay. 

Welcome back Rosie!
I'm sure that Keith is going to be absolutely delighted with all this information :)

And images as well!

;D   

I have finally worked out how to crop them on my ipad, I don't know why I did not try it before.  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 October 23 17:43 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant, Rosie. The image is fantastic. I must admit that I would never have noticed that stroke by Henry's name.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 October 23 00:20 BST (UK) »
I will first say that I thought that I had Henry William Banks under control, now rephrased to chaotic control!!!!!!

Firstly, apologize for three chn died in 1852, yes, one died in 1851.

I assumed that Henry William Banks was born 17 Sep 1809 Spitalfields, the son of Henry [James] Banks and Ann Rugg who had married 24 Dec 1807 St. Mary Rotherhithe was the same who died 18 May 1858 St. Thomas Hospital London

and was the father of William Henry Banks
 (b1846 Bermondsey - 14 Dec 1867 (21 years old) in Hobart. He was named as the nephew of James Banks (27 Feb 1820 Mile End) who with his wife Ann Brown emigrated to Hobart in 1859 from Bermondsey with large family.

Immigration list I will check again but I had:
There was a further note: Henry [William Henry] (nephew) 12 years old had lost both parents within 3 months of embarkment, and that he could R & W (read and write). There was a transcription underneath that both parents died and underneath (9 years ago). This more than likely referred to the time that his mother died (Frances Raven!!!), which would have been close to 9 years ago (1852).

Therefore, as rootschat contributors has pointed out, there are inconsistencies:

Letter of Administration for the Personal Estate of Henry William Banks

LETTERS OF ADMINISTRATION OF Henry William Banks  late of No 4 Grigg’s Place Grange Road Bermondsey in the county of Surrey   deceased, who died on the  18th  day of   May   1858   at Saint Thomas’ Hospital London Bridge in the said County, a Bachelor without Parent and   intestate, were granted at the Principle Registry of the Probate Division of the High Court of Justice, to   Eliza Noble (Wife of James Noble Fruiterer) of No 3 King Street Tower Hill in the County of Middlesex the Administratrix of the personal Estate of William Henry Banks deceased whilst living the natural and lawful Brother and only Next of Kin, and the sole person entitled to the personal Estate of the said deceased,   she having been first sworn duly to administer the said William Henry Banks   having survived the said deceased, but died without having taken upon himself  the Letters of Administration of  his  personal Estate and Effects.

Effects under £   200     Resworn November 1879  under £100

If I was correct, then this is wrong a bachelor and without parent .... and natural and lawful brother of Eliza Noble

...  as Eliza Noble (Mrs. James Noble), also known as Eliza Banks (b.7 Jul 1812 Whitechapel) and Mrs. Eliza Powell; her brother Henry William Banks (b.17 Sep 1809 Spitalfields); and James Banks (b.27 Feb 1820 Mile End) still had their father alive Henry [James] Banks, also currier in Bermondsey, he lived to 12 Oct 1872 Bishopsgate.
1851 Census St. George Tce St. Mary Bermondsey (70 with a second wife Mary Ann) and her son; 1861 26 Primrose St St. Botolph without Bishopsgate; 1871 28 Primrose St; death cert. 12 Oct 1872 62 Skinner Street Bishopsgate.

There is another alternative:
The William Henry Banks (12 years old nephew), whom James Banks and Ann Brown and their large family emigrated to Hobart in 1859 was the nephew of yet another brother (for example a John Banks born 1808).

Immigration list:
There was a further note: Henry [William Henry] (nephew) 12 years old had lost both parents within 3 months of embarkment, and that he could R & W (read and write). There was a transcription underneath that both parents died and underneath (9 years ago). This more than likely referred to the time that his mother died, which would have been close to 9 years ago (1852).
Back to the drawing boards..... and using your above contributions

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 October 23 00:51 BST (UK) »
How do I get 2.50 pound images of records?

I just paid GBP 7.00 for birth record of William Henry Banks b. 31 Mar 1851 St. Ann's Place, St. Mary Magdalen Bermondsey Vol 3 Page 39.

He was the first cousin (8 years old in 1859) of the William Henry Banks (12 years old) the above referred person, on the same shipping entry into Hobart in 1859, my wife's next ancestor and son of James Banks and his wife Ann Brown 1851 Census 10 Ann's Place, Grange Walk St. Mary Magdalen.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 07 October 23 00:57 BST (UK) »
It is the digital images which are £2.50
Order a Digital Image
Search the indexes to find a record and click through to purchase an image.

Digital Images are only available for Births 1837-1922 and Deaths 1837-1887.

Digital Image (JPEG)
Image of a record that can not be used for official identification e.g. if applying for a passport, driving licence, or where required to give notice of marriage
Cost £2.50. Image available to view once payment is complete and a link to the image is provided on the order confirmation screen
Available in 'My Orders' for 3 months after date of purchase
Not all records are available to view as Digital Images, however the record you are searching for may be available as a PDF or certificate.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)