Author Topic: Apparent Error in GRO Copy, Can GRO Check Original?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Apparent Error in GRO Copy, Can GRO Check Original?
« on: Wednesday 04 October 23 06:21 BST (UK) »
When we look at BDM registrations online what we see are the GRO copies, not the originals. This obviously leaves open the possibility of an error in the copy.

I think I have encountered a case of such an error. In the online GRO copy of the marriage registration for Paul Roche in Wexford in 1881, his father's name is given as Thomas Kehoe.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1881/11004/8023666.pdf

Now Thomas Kehoe is also the name of the bride's father on the preceding entry. To me, this looks like a case of a copying error - copying the name in the preceding entry.

Has anyone had any success in getting the GRO to check the original registration? If so, how does one go about this?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Apparent Error in GRO Copy, Can GRO Check Original?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 06:36 BST (UK) »
Gee they really have had a hard time back then....Not just the name of the father is incorrect but a Paul Kehoe 'signs' the marriage certificate of Paul Roche, and Paul Roche is a witness to the Kehoe wedding (this may be right but in view of the other transciption errors i would ask them to check this)  And while they are on the job check that the bride's name is Bridget in both cases.  I see they have also made an attempt to make the priest's name Kehoe as well.

I have no experience in following up with GRO. 

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 06:42 BST (UK) »
Gee they really have had a hard time back then....Not just the name of the father is incorrect but a Paul Kehoe 'signs' the marriage certificate of Paul Roche, and Paul Roche is a witness to the Kehoe wedding (this may be right but in view of the other transciption errors i would ask them to check this)  And while they are on the job check that the bride's name is Bridget in both cases.  I see they have also made an attempt to make the priest's name Kehoe as well.

I have no experience in following up with GRO.

Yes, I noticed those other "features" too!  :D

But Paul Roche did marry Bridget McDonnell, I know that - those names are correct.
I suspect his father's name was John Roche, in which case I believe he was a relative of mine.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 07:09 BST (UK) »
So if its a CHURCH record, ascertain if the church register is deposited anywhere.

It's f-all to do with the GRO since they did not make the copy, the church authorities did that.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 07:10 BST (UK) »
So if its a CHURCH record, ascertain if the church register is deposited anywhere.

It's f-all to do with the GRO since they did not make the copy, the church authorities did that.

Pauline

This is not a church record. This is a GRO record.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 08:53 BST (UK) »
The Church have two registers, the couple sign both, one is kept by the Church the other goes to the Register Office.

The Register Office make a copy, theses are sent quarterly to the GRO. If you can obtain  a photocopy from either the  Church or the district Register Office you should see the original signatures.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 09:17 BST (UK) »
The Church have two registers, the couple sign both, one is kept by the Church the other goes to the Register Office.

The Register Office make a copy, theses are sent quarterly to the GRO. If you can obtain  a photocopy from either the  Church or the district Register Office you should see the original signatures.

I don't think so. Perhaps you are thinking of English CofE practice?
I have never seen any supposed church copy of a historic civil register in any church I have visited. I think the original register was only kept in the church until full (if ever), then transferred to the district registry office. Perhaps others can comment.

In any case, I know that the Irish district registry office copies were all transferred to the central GRO around 20 years ago, so the option  to consult those no longer exists. In the 1990s I previously consulted the district registry originals.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 09:23 BST (UK) »
A church ( or as in this case, chapel) would most likely deposit *their* copy with the diocese,  if its no longer at the church. 

Original, copy to local register iffice, copy to Central register office
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 09:30 BST (UK) »
A church ( or as in this case, chapel) would most likely deposit *their* copy with the diocese,  if its no longer at the church. 

Original, copy to local register iffice, copy to Central register office

You are confused. This isn't a church register. This is a civil registration register!
The church does not have a copy.
Absolutely no copies to diocese!

Methinks you are possibly misled by situation in England, where CofE is a state church??